[SI-LIST] Re: AW: AW: PCI Express differential impedance

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 03:12:09 -0700

Gert, it would be interesting to go over the data that leads you to your
conclusion that tight differential pair coupling mitigates glass weave
effects.  My experience has been just the opposite.  In general it seems
that loose coupling within reasonable limits offers fewer dependencies
on the board geometries, including glass weave.    Most of the routing
techniques directed at mitigating weave effects either attempt to
average delta dK*length variations, and/or minimize them.  In order for
tight coupling to make a substantial improvement it has to do one or
both:  Place each trace in close proximity to the same glass features.
Present geometries do not lend themselves to that.  Or, couple enough
energy trace to trace to substantially reduce image plane coupling.
Geometries required for common impedances with typical stack-ups, and
commonly used glass geometries do not generally lend themselves to those
circumstances.  Ultimately, at high enough speeds, the real answer is to
dump glass/resin for homogenous dielectric.

Best Regards,

Steve.

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC