[SI-LIST] Re: A question

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mazari@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:00:07 -0800

Meiri, If you are asking about ground strips between traces, they are
usually little more effective than just spacing the traces as though the
ground was there, but leaving the extra trace out.  If you are asking about
ground fill in unused areas around the traces, that is almost always a a
good thing provided you stitch the islands adequately.  And yes proximity
of ground or other traces does affect impedance, but you can readily adjust
for this with trace width / spacing.  As you can see from using the CPW
calculations in Polar, it doesn't take a lot of extra space between traces
before the impedance effects of a coplanar trace diminish.

Steve.
At 06:09 PM 2/14/2004 +0200, Keren&Meiri wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a question, I have downloaded POLAR calculator from the web and I
>was looking for a calculation/example/formula about:
>
>Lat's say I have 2 or more microstrips on component side (CS). Is it good
>to fill up with GND among the signals (on CS)? I want that the signals
>will be 50 OHM. (I am not doing it for cooper balancing, I am doing it to
>reduce noise!!). Maybe filling up GND among the 50 OHM signals will
>influance badly on the impedance.
>So my question is: Is it O.K./recommended to fill up GND among the
>signals? (I am not talking about the GND plane from below).
>
>Waiting for your answer,
>Thanks,
>
>Meiri Azari
>Hardware engineer