[SI-LIST] 3D .mcm geometry viewers

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:06:29 -0800

Recently our group has developed a need for a 3D visualization tool that
can read Cadence .mcm package design files and display the geometry as a
3D image to aid our package designers in visualizing certain problems
and also aid our SI engineering staff in visualizing various 3D aspects
of a package design such as connectivity of layers with stacked vias and
other such structures during our checking of the design files. Some
things are just easier to visualize in 3D as opposed to the 2D
representation we get with the APD tool.

Now for our tale of woe.... We found an almost ideal tool called APD3D
that was developed by Artwork Conversion Software in Santa Cruz, CA that
did exactly what we wanted. When we approached them for a demo we were
told that they had just signed and exclusive deal with Cadence to allow
them to put the 3d viewer  APD3D into Cadence's APD tool and that they
could no longer market the tool themselves. Next I contacted Cadence to
see if we could get an eval of the tool from them. Seems that while they
intend on integrating it into their toolset in the interim it is off the
market for at least several quarters. No demos or evals either.... Drat!

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of a similar tool from any
other vendor that can accomplish 3D visualization of .mcm files? All
suggestions or leads are appreciated.

Ray Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer
Xilinx Inc.