[SI-LIST] Re: 2 layers PCB with no Plane(gnd or Power)

  • From: "Jon Keeble" <jkeeble@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mohamad Haghtalab" <mohaghtalab@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 08:28:38 +1000

The easy answer is "that's why we use planes".
In the absence of planes the distribution of power becomes an issue.

Answering you question requires consideration of  edge speeds, distances, shape
of copper structures, type of signalling (single ended / differential), EMI and
ESD emissions and immunity, and circuit configuration, just to start.

If you are building a low volume product then the additional engineering
required to dispense with extra layers may not be economic. If you are building
a high volume product then I suggest you pay an engineer to review your design.

Regards

Jon Keeble