[ SHOWGSD-L ] will not eat

  • From: "Carl & Sue" <sanderhaus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:13:48 -0400

In a message dated 3/31/2011 10:25:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
betjagsd@xxxxxxx writes:

My 2  year old girl was spayed yesterday.  I picked her up last night.  I
have not been able to get her to eat or drink anything.  I have tried
everything I could think of from her favorite cat food, ham, cheese,
potatoes, chicken soup not to mention her regular dog food. This dog is
usually a great  eater.  I have a call to my vet, but I'm sure some of the
wise listers may have a trick or two.  Any help would be  appreciated.

if she's on pain meds she probably won't eat. those and some antibiotics
make them not hungry or upset.

she shouldn't eat the day of surgery anyway, too risky for bloat or
dehydration if she vomits from the anesthetic still being in her.

I would not push her. offer her water now since it's the day after (just a
few laps at a time the day of but not for a few hours after she is home).

I'll bet she'll eat by tomorrow but I wouldn't give her more than 1/2 her
normal meal.

susan

  <http://www.sander-haus.com/> www.sander-haus.com
Sander-Haus German Shepherd Dogs
Quality West German & other European Bloodlines
Members of the GSDCA, GSDCA-WDA, SV of Germany

Selectively breeding not mass producing!