[ SHOWGSD-L ] when to breed or spay

  • From: Debby Jass <debby@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:59:14 -0600

Hi!  Recently I had a discussion with one of my local all breed club
members about heat cycles.  I had commented that my three-year-old bitch
was just recovering from her last cycle, and I thought it was a hard one
for her.  She had lost her coat, which also felt coarse and dry.  She
had lost her appetite, lost some weight, and seemed moody.  I feel these
are fairly typical reactions, but I thought she was having a harder time
coming out of it.  My friend, a Golden Lab breeder of twenty plus years,
said that at her age I needed to make the decision to breed her or spay
her.  (My reaction - Excuse me???)  His reasons were for the health of
the dog.  I don't understand it all and may be misquoting him, but he
said that the uterus needed to be "cleaned out" and the best way to do
that was to breed her.  Well, I don't want to breed her (at least not
yet), and I won't consider spaying her because I'm showing her.  Is this
common practice for most bitches?  Could it be different for GSDs or
show dogs, for that matter?  Am I somehow "hurting" my dog by not
breeding or spaying her at this stage of her life?

Another club member, who was involved in the conversation and breeds
Newfies, suggested using mibolerone (formerly known as Cheque Drops) to
preserve a bitch's uterus and stop seasonal shedding so the bitch can be
kept in show condition.

I haven't dealt with breeding and puppies for over twenty years, and
I've only dealt with show dogs for six.  I consider myself a newbie, and
I would appreciate hearing any explanations and comments from you
experienced GSD breeders out there.

Takes for your time!
Debby Jass
Mom to CH Gunner, Annie, and Lexi