[ SHOWGSD-L ] weather reports (was Re: what to pack

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:01:22 -0600

On 10/4/07 5:14 PM, Kathy Martin wrote:
> Is there a website where we can check the weather conditions in the Rockies?
> The idea of getting stuck in a snow storm doesn't sound appealing. However,
> I'm sure they're more prepared for snow than we are....an inch of the "white
> stuff" shuts Oregonians down! :-)

  The simplest way to get somewhat graphical forecasts is to go to the
main National Weather Service (NWS) web site at weather.gov and in the
box in the left navigation bar type "loveland, co".  Note that this is
weather.gov, not weather.com (which is The Weather Channel).

  Ft. Collins/Loveland forecasts are issued by the NWS office in Denver,
www.crh.noaa.gov/den  If you want a bit more detail, go to their
website, click "Local Area" under "Forecasts" on the left navigation
bar.  When you get the local forecast page, you can type a city name
into the box to get the quasi-graphical forecast; look at the
Denver/north/east/south text forecast; look at the outdoor activity
forecasts for the mountain regions (lower on the page); read the
forecast discussion, etc.

  Longterm outlooks (6-10 days, 8-14 days) are most easily found from
the NWS/Denver site.  Chose "Local" under Climate, pick the "Climate
Prediction Center (CPC)" web site link, and there you are.  These are
released more than weekly but less than daily.

  Keep in mind that conditions in Ft. Collins/Loveland, which are on the
Plains just east of the mountains, are usually VERY different from
conditions in the mountains, and that conditions in the southern part of
the state can also be completely different from those in the north!!!

  These are your tax dollars at work.  (unless you're Canadian or Mexican!)

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany