[ SHOWGSD-L ] was how about a credit report

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:13:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/16/2006 9:51:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
how many  of you had to go through all these
questions when you got your first dog,  show or otherwise?

My first GSD other than rescue came for BJ's.  Betty knew me as  a kid and
knew my family because we boarded our rescue GSD at her place and  later my
sister's Huskie.

STILL, I waited until I had a single home, fenced yard, etc.  Betty  insisted
on meeting my husband-to-be and grilled us on how long the puppy would  be
alone.  Wanted to know about our careers, how long we'd worked for each
company, family planning, all of it <G>.  She didn't ask for a credit  report,
but
she knew so much of our "business" I bet she could picture it, lol.  Mind you,
it was in the form of a nice "chatty" conversation, but if you knew  Betty, she
wasn't the "chatty" type and it was obvious where she was going,  lol;)

So, yes, I had to go through "all these questions", and there's nothing new
about having to do it either.  For a new puppy home, I still want a family,
with a single home, with a fenced yard, someone home most of the day, prior
experience with GSDs or other large dogs a plus.

Renters, if it is a situation where a house isn't finished, perhaps a  couple
renting a single home near a college while they complete their education,
sure, I can bend a little.  Apartment or condo renters would be a  "no". Ditto
single parents.  I'd have a hard time with young-ish  singles period, because
who is with the dog for the 8-10 hours while they are  out of the house
working?  In that case, maybe they'd be better off  adopting an older dog.
Older
singles, teen children or other companion,  company for the dog, sure. Retired
couples past a certain age, I'm going to ask  about health.  Sorry if that
offends, but I had one come back after the  husband ended up needing heart
stuff.
HUGE, HUGE drama, for them, for  their grown out-of-Sate children, for the
puppy who adored them, and you  know....I should have known. He didn't look too
steady when I met him and even  though the wife said the puppy had a forever
home, his illness was too much for  her.

I know it 'can' be made to work, and I know even the best situation can
change, but they're my puppies and (here's the key!) I have more homes for
puppies than puppies, so I can be PRETTY choosy.  As far as character,  that's
given. They don't get invited if I have any inkling of a red  flag.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_