[ SHOWGSD-L ] was dwindling entries???

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:14:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/2005 6:32:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pruett@xxxxxxxxx writes:
It  doesn't really matter where the national is located, as long as our
handlers
want $2,500 to show a special, with an additional $2,500 added on  if your
animal goes select (I don't get that - isn't that the point of  showing a
special?), entries are never going to be huge.  There's a  limited number of
us
(and I'm not one of them) that can afford to pay those  kind of fees to show
at
a national.  And, with selects now limited to  10 - and those who go select
most
likely to be a professional who is  charging those rates, then the prices are
only going to get worse.   The people running this club, and the people who
want
to run this club, are  the people who can pay those rates or the people who
charge those kind of  rates.  It's not a healthy thing for our breed - or at
least for what  we like to do with our breed.

In the past few week, I've seen Ann post that she will drive 12 hours max,
Carolyn will fly a dog IF...Christine takes fewer dogs when the travel
arrangements are a nightmare, Kris had a bad experience flying a dog and will
no
longer fly to the Nationals and now Laurie has hit the nail squarely on the
head.  (Sorry if I've left anyone else out.) YET every year you hear "well  the
entry got smaller but the good dogs were there" or "IF someone had a good  dog
they'd do whatever it took to get it there".  HELLO???????   Consider the
people I mentioned above and then imply when their dogs stay home,  the "good
dogs"
all still got there!  I think not all of them....in fact  more and more stay
home.

Tom is right; if we continue with dwindling entries the National will
CONTINUE to loose relevance.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but John DID the  circle
maps
and we DID do a survey on this w/ the PC, so it's not like we don't  have the
info/data..

Kathy
three generations of Champions live  here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_