[ SHOWGSD-L ] was article, book, Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:42:42 EST

IMO, the book mentioned above by Curtis Brown is outstanding (though  not
always complimentary to our breed).  My apologies to Ed Anderson  <G>.  It took
me a year to unpack the dog books!

Anyway, the book compares assemblies of wild trotting/galloping dogs all  the
way to modern trotting and galloping dogs w/ outstanding photos and
diagrams.....it compares desirable structures for locomotion w/ various breed
standards and references such things as pressure plate tests used to determine
energy efficiency. (Pressure plates measuring foot fall, energy and
efficiency).

What I came away with is the understanding that we're not exactly correct
when we (GSD enthusiasts and other breed enthusiasts hooked on "movement")
justify our desire for "big movers" w/ added angulation w/ the defense that
TRAD
(tremendous reach and drive) it is THE most efficient way of moving.   Even w/
dogs that one would be hard pressed to call "extreme", there is simply  too
much energy output v distance covered to make the "it's the most efficient"
argument. So what?  I don't want to look at something that resembles a wolf  ,
jackal or large fox in my back yard or sleeping on the couch  <G>.

Still, I no longer make the "more is better argument" when it comes to
efficiency, because science handily disproves it:)

The book is dry, chock full of foot notes and studies and not something to
get through in one or two sittings.  Still, a good read and handy reference
guide IMO.

Kathy
visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_