[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Strike Two / timing tests

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Danannkennel@xxxxxxx, lfossland@xxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:58:50 EST

In a message dated 12/28/2004 6:53:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Danannkennel@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 12/27/2004 11:56:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lfossland@xxxxxxxx writes:
I  personally do not rely on the  progesterone tests much anymore. If   it'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have just run a series of progesterone  test for the first time  ever.   I
did it because my bitch  is a maiden, the stud dog I am going  to is very
aggressive ( you  bring them and he breeds them) and I  had Xmas  right in
the middle
of everything.  What have I found out?  That  the tests  verified what my own
dogs noses and my own experience told me- she  is  ready now and I am going
today.  Unless there are unusual  circumstances I  doubt I will spend the
money
again.  I don't  think it is necessary to  routinely do this.

I learned my lesson.  JR's first breeding and his "date" had never had
puppies.  The bitch owner and myself wanted to do all we could to  make this
happen, so I had her early and was grooming her before taking her  to the
reproductive guru for blood work/smears/timing tests so that he'd have an
early
borderline reading.  She was on the table in the garage, he was loose  on the
floor
flirting.  When I lifted her off the table, he wanted to breed  her.  Now, I
was warned this gal could be "difficult" but instead she was  impatient with is
flirting and I swear if she'd had hands she would have  reached back and
helped <G>.  So, I'm thinking, let him play, he's  green, new at this and when
he
gets close she'll eventually say "no" because  it's WAY early. Nope, tied, EASY
and on day THREE!  So, I get to the  appointment late, apologize, say what
happened and end up with "but it's way  early and he's green and doesn't know
any better".  The next AM the office  called w/ the results and the fellow
laughingly told me the dogs got it  right.

Now, that's fine and dandy IF you have a dog who will tell you at home, but
if you don't, when you're driving/shipping and/or implanting, a little
insurance  couldn't hurt I suppose....

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_