[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Sad National, PR etc.

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:26:06 EDT

I don't have that experience.  If I get a call from someone looking  for a
companion who has run into the perceived difference, I politely explain
that I have dogs with both American & German parentage and that truth be  told
there are only miniscule differences in the standards used to judge dogs on
either side of the pond.  I explain that a good dog is a good dog is a good
 dog.  I further opine that someone who bashes either "type" is simply
uneducated re both breed standards.  I also explain that any exaggerated
differences in type don't fit either breed standard and breeders who breed to
extremes aren't doing the breed any good.

That pretty much stops it.

People want GOOD TEMPERAMENT and HEALTH in their companions.  I want  the
same.  I frequently encourage puppy people to check web sites for
certifications and check vet references.

As far as marketing...my dogs all look like the Pied Piper at doggy events
with children hanging all over them.  There's nothing a little person can
do to a just-groomed dog that I can't undo in a second or two w/ a greyhound
 comb.

I've never had an issue selling puppies on the occasions I have  any.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/29/2010 3:44:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Having a  couple of breeders in my area that breed the German dogs I hear
things that  are said about our American dogs, and it is NOT flattering.  So
the  individual looking for a puppy that get's a hold of a breeder that has
nothing  good to say about the American dogs, will shy away from even
looking at  them.  This is not just bad mouthing, this is fact.   Researching
and
going on some of the web sites prooves this as  well.  So the key is
marketing and visibility.

I  often receive calls after Westminster & Eukanuba, people telling me they
 want a dog that looks like the GSD winner.  They don't care if it is a
German or American bred dog at that time.  Most do not have a clue about  the
difference, that comes later, when they get a hold of breeders and start
looking for a  dog.