[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was President show dogs at our National?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx, tokaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:51:29 EDT

Yes, but I think it's broader than that.  There are judges who  are looking
for their next assignment or who can "do" for them later on down the  road
when they point to their winner...

If you can hang in long enough to know who-is-who before going broke, you
have a long future in dogs shows.

And please, spare me the Pollyanna.  There are some darned good judges  out
there, some fair and ethical judges who call it as they see it no matter
who  is on the end of the leash or who is outside of the ring. And honestly, I
 think these judges are in the majority. There are many good "dog people" I
 admire and I will drive hours for their opinion of a dog I like well
enough to  keep and campaign.

But...there are all breed wins that are predicable according to who is
showing and specialty wins decided before entries close.  And if you say  there
aren't I have a bridge to sell <G>.

I do my fair share of winning, I know about bringing judges dogs they  may
like, I study who puts up what and what they may prefer, I know about
having dogs in top condition, I don't need anyone to tell me when a dog is
mature...and I'm getting better about keeping my dogs out of trouble... and
when
something fishy goes on, I know to stay away next time.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 4/28/2011 1:08:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  topic of should judges be allowed to show dogs came up at the seminar
Guzman
gave for the Grand Canyon GSD. The vote from the audience was that Yes
they
should because there are so many judges that show dogs and  entries would
fall if
they were not allowed to show.
Maybe what the AKC  should do is limit the number of judges for each breed.
Lets
face it when  picking judges these days it is always Who  will draw?

QUESTION :
Do you guys think that judges  being allowed to show dogs in the breed that
they
judge has lowered  entries in that breed?  We talk about the "politics "of
showing dogs,  does this have anything to do with it?

Do you think that being a judge  increases your chances of winning at dog
shows?

Terry