[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Jessica / K-9s

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:51:03 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2005 6:50:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi  all,

Met this young lady at the Berryville show this weekend. She  is very serious
about protecting all K9 officers and has
established an  organization to help.

Her web page is below - note she even has a page  for police officers to list
the needs for their dog. She started with an  group that could only buy vests
because of the way they were set up and as  she felt their were other needs
started her own  organization.

Maybe some of us could use a good cause to donate to or belong to a  group
that would consider a donation to help this young lady  out.

This is the web address - you may have to hold down   "ctrl"  and then click

_http://www.missionk9.org/adoptapolicedog/_
(http://www.missionk9.org/adoptapolicedog/)

Threese  - Limited Edition Shepherds (VA)

This frustrates the heck out of me.  I know this gal is doing a good  thing
and thank you Threese for bringing this to our attention...BUT...(there is
always a BUT isn't there?)...I got a rude awakening this year when I followed
the tale of a (imported, highly specialized, bomb sniffing) K-9 in a
neighboring
 township that was allowed to wander out of his unfenced yard during a potty
break.  This $10,000, highly trained marvel apparently didn't know how  to
come when he was called and remained "missing" for 2 days.  When I asked  how
one could be sure he was "working" at tasks that are difficult to
measure,(unless you blow up!...oooppps...missed that one!), when in fact he
hadn't
mastered something we could easily measure LIKE COMING WHEN HE WAS
CALLED!!!!!!...Oh, I was assured he could sniff out bombs (do we have a big
bomb  problem in
the neighboring rural township????), but heaven forbid he comes when  he is
called.  Why let him off leash, then, you may wonder???  It took  police from
three neighboring townships and a whole bunch of volunteer firemen  to catch
this
dog.  Actually, it was a four foot fence bordering a field he  had run into
INSTEAD of coming when called....uggghhhh...wait...I know you've  watched the
TV
shows where highly trained K-9s scaled walls, impossible  A-frames, jumped
through windows...not this one...a rusty fallen down chain link  section
stopped
him in his tracks.  Good thing!

(I actually had someone who works in a clerical position at the township
building tell me he was a "male" dog and in "love", and gosh, there's no way
they can overcome that "urge".)  If they knew anything about dogs and their
rural community, that "urge" would have taken a lot less than two days to
satisfy...my money says he was running deer, which BTW, is something dogs can
be
shot for.  opppsss...not the $10,000  dog...ppppuuulllleeeeaaaasssee!!!!!

Low and behold...are you sitting down????  I learned what the good  taxpayers
in the neighboring township spend ANNUALLY to care for THREE  dogs...$20,000.
 A YEAR.  You'd think they could buy a vest, no?   (and maybe a kennel for
the times the good officer let his highly trained marvel  off the leash!)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_