[ SHOWGSD-L ] was In the country, maybe in the world

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, pmick@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:53:09 EST

In a message dated 3/20/2005 8:15:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
I  have  not,
however been to Italy.

I have.  The pizza is nothing to write home about.  Chicago  does their thing
with all that "deep crust", baked in a pie pan stuff, which is  fine if you
like a lot of bread, but it's not really "pizza", it's more like  "tomato pie"
that Italian grandmoms used to make on Friday nights w/ the fresh  tomatoes
from the garden baked over top of a thick dough with nothing more than  fresh
basil and a little salt. You needed thick dough for that to sop up  all  the
juice from the fresh tomatoes. (It was a traditional Friday thing  because you
couldn't eat meat on Friday and little children have a tendency to  hate fish
especially the way Italian grandmoms made it...it takes a while to  learn to
like salt cod and squid...<G>, so a big pan of tomato pie was  just the ticket
fill empty bellies.) I've been to California too, and for my  money, the best
"pizza" comes from the authentic old-time hand built stone pizza  ovens in
New York and South Philly.  IMO, if you don't have the oven, the  crust just
isn't the same and there aren't a lot of these ovens left:) Also, for  my
money,
the best bastardization of pizza is something the French do called
Pissaladiere, which is paper thin crust baked directly on the stones of a hot
bread
oven with nothing more than thinly sliced onions, a little garlic, the  best
olive oil a few anchovy fillets, some nicoise olives with freshly ground  black
pepper. (No cheese because of the salt in the anchovies.)  So good,  the dogs
don't get the crust!

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_