[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Dogs that kill, making excuses

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, GrnRam415@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:14:32 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2005 1:35:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxx writes:
We need  to work hard to make sure we do
not allow this to happen to our GSD's by  making the SAME excuses!!
I am not talking about Politically correct,   Legislation,  Education nor
training.....nor as
I saw  posted...this is not about "Petey in The Little Rascals"  and being "a
 part of
OUR
History"  or how pretty the red ones are.    I am talking about right & wrong
and what
is important!     We're talking about a specific Breed consistently mauling
and  killing
kids!!    It isn't pretty,  it isn't Petey, and I  don't want that to be part
of our
History.....
JMHO  also.
Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx

Carolyn,

As usual, you hit the nail on the head.  "We" make excuses.  At a  vet's
"harvest party" (don't ask, way too many "pumpkin" thinks to eat, lol),  the
topic
came up re a 4 year old boxer.  Raised by a family, bit it's  young mistress
who had tripped over her.  The family gave up the dog   and the pervasive
sentiment from the doggy people at the party was that the dog  had an excuse.
couldn't believe my ears.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

I had a call from a family, now looking for a pup who had given up their  six
year old golden after the dog snapped at their 16 month old baby.  A  GSD
breeder friend of mine wondered at the "other" side of the story.

THERE IS NO "OTHER SIDE" OF THE STORY.

I'm not for leaving children unattended and I'm certainly not for allowing
children to torment a dog, but I trip over dogs...daily. I have a nephew under
two and naturally he makes a grab for whatever dog he's playing with (we take
 collars off!), but he'll reach for an ear, pull a tail, grab a handful of
hair  and the dogs adore him...would walk thru the gates of HELL for him.  At
16
 moths children are just starting to toddle, certainly the dog could get
"away to  safety", lol, but you can't keep the dogs away.  They love him!

I wouldn't FEED a dog who bit a child, and yet others look for the excuse,
want the "other side".  It all starts with excuses...

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_