[ SHOWGSD-L ] vans

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:06:00 EDT

We are on our 2nd Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan.  The first one (1992)  went
almost 300,000 miles.  We gave it to my brother-in-law who drove it  for a
couple of years and then passed it on to some migrant workers.  I  would love
know how many miles that van ended up with.  Our second Olds  Silhouette we
bought in 1999.  The only reason we replaced the 1992 was  that we were going
Germany and we didn't want to take a vehicle with almost  300,000 miles.  We
picked up the new van and put it on a boat to  Germany.  We drove it all over
Europe for 4 years and then had it  shipped back to the U.S.  I'm driving it
now and it has almost 150,000  miles on it.  It can get up to 26 mpg on the
highway if I keep the speed  reasonable, but I usually average 22 between city
&
highway driving.   In Germany we only got 15 mpg because I drove fast on the
autobahn :-)  It could go 105 mph, but I wouldn't take it over  that...

We've had no major repairs with either minivan and we've LOVED both of them
although I couldn't fit two 500s side by side in the back.  I could put a  500
& 400 next to each other.  I really liked the fact that  the back "bench"
seat was a split seat that I could easily lift and carry  alone.  I also can
carry the bucket seats (in the middle) without any  problem.  I usually have a
platform in the back and crates on top of the  platform, but right now am using
two large wire crates and have storage between  them.

Between friends, family, and renting, I've driven every van out there  except
for the new Sprinter.  Suffice it to say that we bought  another Olds instead
of one of the other vans.  I like the  way the Olds Silhouette feels on the
road.  I like it's power and the  comfort and the mpg.  I would not have wanted
to drive ANYTHING larger  in Europe.  One time we were in Italy driving down
a winding road that got  too narrow even for the minivan....we had to BACK UP
a LONG way up the hill and  find an alternative route!

The only drawback is that they're not making them anymore :-(  I don't  know
what we'll do when our current one needs to be replaced, but then at only
150,000, we don't have to worry about that for a while.

Julie Degen