[ SHOWGSD-L ] urgent BSL proposed in Coral Springs FL

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 05:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

I am in Maryland with my Mom and Dad for my brother funeral and such.  But I
have been asked to forward this to any and all who might help.  As I know we
have many south Florida members on this list I ask that anyone who can help
with this please do, BSL does not work and it needs to be stopped.  Grace
Acosta breeds Rotties and is a wonderful woman, we need to stand by her and
fight BSL.
  sheila

  Please stress to all dog owners how very important this meeting is. We need a
lot of warm bodies there.So call all your friends and relatives to show up. If
this  resolution goes to state don't think it will just be pit bulls or Rotts
they will hit any breed that they consider dangerous in their minds. Diane

  As you know, the Coral Springs City Commission passed a resolution 10 days
ago to push the Florida State Representatives to introduce and pass a bill that
would reverse the current state statute that prevents any city or county from
banning a specific breed of dog.
This is, no doubt, a hasty knee-jerk reaction to the Coral Springs woman
recently killed by her own Presa Canario.

Here is the current state statute:

  Section 767.14  Additional local restrictions authorized.--Nothing in this
act shall limit any local government from placing further restrictions or
additional requirements on owners of dangerous dogs or developing procedures
and criteria for the implementation of this act, provided that no such
regulation is specific to breed and that the provisions of this act are not
lessened by such additional regulations or requirements. This section shall not
apply to any local ordinance adopted prior to October 1, 1990.
History.--s. 5, ch. 90-180.

Members of the commission have expressed a desire to ban certain breeds and
certain "mixed breeds".

I met with the Mayor yesterday and he stated that their decision is not a 100%
done deal but he is inclined to go along with the direction his staff is
advising him to go. He said that the City Attorney unequivocally expressed that
there are indeed at least three breeds that are "known to be vicious". He also
said that yesterday's meeting was the first time that he heard anyone express
the anti-Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) views my friend and I expressed.

He stated that he would welcome any articles from dog experts that can support
the position that inherently vicious breeds do not exist. I feel it may also be
helpful to point out that BSL in general does not work.

Please help by attending the Coral Springs City Commission meeting this
Tuesday, October 3rd at 6:30pm. Please bring friends who oppose BSL. We want a
large impressive turnout.

Location:

City of Coral Springs
9551 West Sample Road
Coral Springs, FL 33065

  Here is a Tiny URL for a map to get there: http://tinyurl.com/hpcl4

  Grace Acosta - www.acostarottweilers.com
AKC Judge #27057
Assistant Principal, Belen Jesuit Preparatory School
www.belenjesuit.org
to join Gulfstream Rottweiler Club www.gulfstreamrottweilerclub.org
to join Greater Miami Dog Club www.miamidogclub.org
to join South Dade Kennel Club www.southdadekennelclub.com