[ SHOWGSD-L ] update on 3 year old GSD bitch (spider bite????)..no! Raccoon!

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:03:34 EST

Thanks to all who offered suggestion on what may have been going on w/ the
frantic family's dog from this past weekend.

I thought we had solved it when a spider bite was suggested and I later
learned they had a large spider population that hangs out under their in-ground

pool cover...not so fast.

It turns out the first vet was right on, and that she has Coonhound
Paralysis (Acute Polyradiculoneuritis).
There really is such a thing and from what I can find it has something to  do
w/ coming in contact w/ the spit/urine of raccoons.  The couple's son  came
home after speaking w/ the neighbors and he'd learned THEIR dog had  been going
through the same thing.  Further investigation found some sort  of small
animal tracks from the neighbor's yard into this couple's yard.   (We've had
snow,
ice, melt, re-freeze, etc. so who really knows WHAT kind of  tracks????  Not
that most of us would in the suburbs would know a racoon  track...I sure
wouldn't <G>.)

Raccoons...who'd a thunk it?

The bitch is doing a little better and is expected to make a full  recovery.
Her owners asked that I say thank you to the list for all of the  support and
well wishes and  that I pass on their experience in case anyone  else ever
has a dog w/ the same symptoms, facial swelling, hives, followed by a  VERY
rapid onset of neurological symptoms w/ normal blood work, no fever,  etc.

You know, I think I'd get rid of the d**n raccoon!

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)