[ SHOWGSD-L ] toe nail question

  • From: "Mike & Kathy Gray" <mlgray@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
  A friend e-mailed me and see if anyone had any ideas about a problem with
toe nails. Her e-mail address is included or I will forward any answers.

Thank you
Mike Gray

I was wondering if you could forward this message to other GSD owners that
might be able to help me. My 8 year old male shepherd has a nail bed
infection in the first digit on his left foot. I noticed he was licking his
toe after we got back from a month vacation. The  toe was red and swollen
andyou could see some pus at the cuticle area. We put him on Kelflex
antibiotics from Jan 16-Mar 13th. The toe swelling went down, the visible
pusdisappeared and only one side of the cuticle area showed some redness. We
took him off the Kelflex to see what would happen?Yesterday we went back to
vet for followup. He had started to lick the foot again about one week ago.
There was redness on one side of the nail and the vet could see there was
still pus way under the nail.

The vet is culturing the pus to see if he can find a different antibiotic
that might respond differently. Otherwise he mentioned amputation of the
digit or taking a section of the digit off to culture.  He says that this
staph infection in toe is not unusual and very difficult to treat. I would
appreciate any help from other dog owners to give me ideas on how to
proceed.We don?t have the culture back yet?so we are waiting on that now
before we proceed with more treatment.

Send ideas to:

brillosavage@xxxxxxxxx[1]

or  call Cheri at 805 969-9389