[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the things I do

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: djur@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:43:01 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2005 11:57:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,  djur@xxxxxxx
writes:
I  certainly appreciate your comments! However, I am not looking for  someone
that will DO whatever I want, just someone willing to work with me,  willing
to answer my questions and listen to my concerns!
Someone that  is honest about their dogs and has the same best interests at
heart "the  betterment of our wonderful breed!" Is that too much to  ask?

Deanne
www.jurhaus.com

Deanne,
What you said made sense.... but the "devil" is in the details.  What  is
"the best interests at heart" and "the betterment of our wonderful breed" can
be
so different from various people's perspectives.  And I am not trying to  get
into a discussion, just trying to give you the benefit of age and some
experience.

If you have been involved in local showing for a while, participated in
regional events and have bred some nice dogs - as I recall you mentioned in
your
the  country.  I imagine you introduced yourself, expressed your admiration for
 their breeding program and told them you were interested.  And during these
conversations you were likely able to determine whether you had similar
goals,  etc.  From then on, it is almost a personal thing - whether they have
anything available?  How conformable they feel about trusting you with  their
chosen puppies?  Whether they feel they can meet your requirements?  Etc.  I
don't
believe you can force this relationship.

If you are looking at a puppy, there is not a lot of promising or  warranties
someone can give you other than replacement or refunds.  Dogs,  like people,
do change a lot as they grow.  You can go by the parents, the  combination of
bloodlines, etc... but a puppy is always a gamble.  If you  want to be assured
of a showable and winning dog, you have to wait and get a  young adult.   And
even then, there are concerns.

You may even want to consider leasing a well bred bitch and produce your
"young star" and, in the mean time, enjoy the ride.  Go to dogshows, talk  to
people and listen, listen, listen.  The joy of the sport is the  "journey" not
the finale.

Dania