[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the same but different

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:30:08 +0000 (UTC)

I started in performance with a GSd that had white in the pedigree. One time I
attended a trial and saw the most beautiful GSD going through his obedience
paces. Although I really didn't know much about the breed standard, I knew
enough to recognize that this dog was in a completely different league than my
dog. I approached the man and complimented him on his dogs performance. He then
told me that the dog had been purchased for the show ring, but one testicle had
not descended. This dog made and impression on me and later when we became
successful conformation, I always believed that a working dog should be as good
a representation of the breed as the dog in the breed ring. Consequently we
have produced many working dogs and family companions that could have easily
have finished in the all breed ring. All dogs shown in any venue should be good
ambassadors for the breed and that includes those placed with families as many
more will see these dogs and formulate opinions about our breed than those we
show in any ring. John DeHope told me just a few months before he passed away
that as a breeder you should judge the quality of your litter not only by the
best in the litter but also by the least. I thought that was a pretty profound
observation and I have found it to be true. We are coming upon the 100th
anniversary of our breed. For decades the qualifications for Obed. Victor.Vctx
have been in place. There has been no issue, no problem but for decades there
wasn't a cash flow problem either. Now as the PC continues to lose revenue, we
yet again want to lower the standard bar for no other reason than to generate
revenue. At the end of the day, we should ask ourselves if Von Stephanitz would
approve of our continuing to lower the standard bar for the breed he designed.