[ SHOWGSD-L ] the ear that won't stand & the turnip truck

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD L <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:04:21 -0400

Thank you to all who've written privately with experiences with 'skin
tags'.  To others, no, I didn't fall off of the turnip truck... I know
the difference between the part of a GSD's ear that is supposed to be
there & a part that is not. ;-)
I've had VERY knowledgable GSD people tape his ears using their proven
methods.  When the form falls out, it's glued back in. His ears are
glued right now.  People who have experienced the skin tagged ears tell
me it's of no use.... that they taped & taped & taped, surgically
removed the tag... etc etc... and the ear NEVER stood.

The skin tag this puppy has is a triangle shape... fully covered in skin
& fur... on the back side of the ear (facing the tail end) about an inch
'up' & centered about perfectly between the center of the ear.  The tag
is about a half inch wide at the base and a half inch tall.  It hasn't
grown with the puppy and is still about the size it was when I first got
him.

IF I'd ever heard about these tag things, and their amazing ability to
screw up ear-sets... I would've put him back on the plane when I first
noticed it.  Someone wrote me that they'd seen these tag things in
Corgis too.

:-(
Diane