[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: test and so much more

  • From: "terraf" <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:59:56 -0500

I had a woman call me last week and said her dog has many allergies per the
vet.  They included this list:

Grasses:
Bluegrass/June grass, Orchard grass, Redtop, Timothy & Johnson Grass
Weeds:
Ragweed, Lamb's Quarters, Cocklebur, Dock/Sheep Sorrel, & Waterhemp
Trees:
Ash, Box Elder/Maple, Walnut, Hazelnut & Birch
Fungi:
Rhizopu, Smut mix, Pullaria, Nigrospora & Phoma (I have no idea what these
are)
Epidermals:
Cat Hair
House Dust & Mites
Foods:  (This is where we have troublesome problems!)
Beef, Poultry (all kinds), Lamb, Rice, Oat, Barley & Kelp
Indoor:
Wool, Orris root (?) & tobacco smoke

There, that's it. We went looking for dog food today that did not have
anything in it that she is allergic to. We went through every bag of food at
Petsmart and didn;t find anything. However, we did find Dick Van Patten food
at Petco and there were two hypoallergenic foods in his line that were
completely free of anything she is allergic to (Salmon & Sweetpotato and
Venison & Sweet Potato). We also found cookies for her that she can have
manufactured by the same company! Yeah! After going through almost every dog
food in two stores I was afraid I was going to have to start making her food
for her, and let me tell you that I don;t do such a hot job at making food
for Bob & I, but I was getting ready to go that route! Ha!

The outdoor allergens are seasonal. They will bother her for certain times
of the year and at other times she should be OK. The mold, cat hair &
household dust there is little that I can eliminate other than trying to
keep house better for her and giving my cat back to her breeder, but gosh I
hate to do that unless I have no choice. Hopefully her shots will take care
of this. If not, then Josie will have to move back home with Dixie. The
fungi I have no idea what her exposure is to this...more research is
required I guess.

Doesn't this sound strange?  What would you feed or do for a dog like this?

Terra Fairburn & Nanc Kinley
Keggi Fair German Shepherds
www.keggifair.com (UPDATED)
members of the GSDC of Quad Cities & GSDCA
www.gsdcqc.com