[ SHOWGSD-L ] temperaments, drug testing . . .

  • From: Penny & Bill <ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:15:14 -0400

I started in GSDs in the late 70s and here it is 2011.  I have always
observed (at specialties and all-breeds) that good GSD temperament is
the exception rather than the rule.  I feel that you have no dog
without a good temperament.  Why are people showing these dogs?
Folks, it's got to be egos!  What else can it be?  A good attitude is
so important--I can forgive a less-than-perfect front, poor feet and
even a missing tooth--I can't forgive poor temperament.  I blame the
owners of these dogs.  I blame handlers if the dogs have them.  I
blame the breeders for wanting these spooks shown.  Is winning THAT
important?  Sure, you can train these dogs to stand still during an
exam and you can double handle during a temperament test, so that the
dogs appear to be sound.  But those are "cheats."  I have no idea what
the answer is . .

The answer for some is to drug the dogs--we've all seen them.  They
have a spacey look to their eyes, maybe glazed is better.  Drugs slow
them down or speed them up, whatever is needed.  My God--these are our
pets!  How can people do these things?  I just don't get it.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog

PS:  I'm with Flower Boy, though--I don't know how we'd be able to
drug-test the dogs.