[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: targeting German Shepherds?

  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:08:01 -0800 (PST)

Actually, I had a friend in Denver that wanted to donate a German Shepherd mix
to a local service dog training group.  Keeping in mind, they readily rescue
dogs from the pound and take people's unwanted pets.  They refused the dog
simply on the premise that it was a GSD mix.  They wouldn't even set an
appointment to evaluate the dog's temperament!  I believe their exact words
were "we don't take any dog that looks like a GSD or GSD mix."  Seems that some
groups already target our fabulous breed.  Whatever happened to Buddy, the
first seeing eye dog?  Unless I have my history mistaken, she was a purebred
German Shepherd...  Alas, keep fighting the good fight.

  Tina
  Illusion GSDs

  Msg: #7 in digest
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:34:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject:  targeting German Shepherds?
From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
> The board is investigating whether it can require owners of pit
bulls, Doberman pinschers, Rottweilers and German shepherds to maintain extra
liability insurance.

  Might remind those agencies that should they ever have a disaster of major
proportions that the search and rescue dogs will be Chihauhau's, as will be the
Police K-9 Unit, the therapy dogs at the hospitals, the seeing eye, helping
hands and other human services dogs. They should also know that this breed is
meaner than a Habanero Stuffed Taco!

Pre Appologies to those with secondary breeds that might include a
Chihauhau and expecially to my buddy Little Man! My mom used to breed them, and
I got bit daily as did my GSD! Those were the days!
Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com