[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: state of the union

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:44:23 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2005 4:47:30 PM Central Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
Very easy answer.  Get a better dog.
I noticed this too, and was gnashing my teeth at every show. Then I started
to show O'Connor.  Amazing how it resolved the problems.  The judges  got
smarter, the shows were more fun, the winners were better quality, none of
the
puppies have missing teeth, and no one is dying any more.

I think it's wrong to imply that people who see problems within the breed are
merely sore losers, and whether you intended it or not, that is exactly what
your post does.

Despite the news that you are winning with your dog, entries are still
slipping, interest in showing dogs is still on the decline, and in my opinion,
we
still have an increasing general problem with movement in the breed.  I am
always reluctant to criticize our dogs, and I was disappointed to read Sherry's
list of complaints.  In fact, I don't think we've done anywhere near that
horrible a job of breeding GSDs.  However, problems exists and they need to be
headed
off before there is no way back.

In an earlier post, I gave my thoughts on how to improve things in general.
If the GSDCA were to make well thought out educational programs available to
its membership, that alone would start a trend for improvement.  It's a pretty
simple thing to look at our own dog and think he or she is perfect, but that
only demonstrates how problems are ignored, and that is actually the primary
problem.   I've spent twenty-five years intensively studying the breed, and
I've
received quite a few nice compliments for that effort.  However, I'll be the
first person to say that I still have a lot to learn. I could be wrong though.
 Perhaps the majority of the fancy already knows everything there is to know
about the breed?  If that is the case, then the idea of offering educational
programs would be a total waste of time.  I'd wager that isn't the case though.
 As the majority of us learn not only what a GSD is supposed to be, but why
and how all of those pieces fit together to make such a wonderful breed,
quality will improve where improvement is needed, and less than knowledgable or
less
than sincere judges will be at home on the weekends.

Tom Langlitz