[ SHOWGSD-L ] sportsmanship

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:05:06 -0700 (PDT)

I just want to say something about being a good sport when you lose.

  I dont' show anymore.  I have not dogs to show and don't foresee having one
again.  But I showed some dogs as an adult, and many as a kid.  I lost a lot.
But I have to say I loved being in the ring, nearly every time.  I loved it so
much that at the Ft Lauderdale and Miami shows in Feb, I took in dogs for Barb
Hefner just to help her out and be in the ring.

  I don't need to win.  I should not run at all.  But the fun of moving with a
dog still has me by the, well, short leash.  When Gary gave my little girl a
4th in a big class with George handling, I was so excited I grabbed my girl and
fell on the ground in joy.  I cried for the white ribbon.

  I have shown many dogs for a lot of people.  Many of the people are gone now,
and some just won't remember me, I was so young.

  I even showed Dexter, who had nothing to offer the breed but his love.  It
was never about winning.  I was just fun to be in the ring or watch my dog in
the ring.

  The worst experience I ever had was being chased around the ring by Bart to
double Liddy.  Why?  I didn't want to run around, I was hurting.  But I did it.
 Using the whistle Liddy knows is for her.  Dick Jones was stewarding and
commented that I had quite a whistle.  Things went downhill from there, I won't
go into details, it is not for young ears.  But Liddy did well.  I don't think
she got the Reserve, but she did her best.

  My saddest experience was Liddy being gone, with Bart for 4 months and then 5
more with the Stiefferman's waiting for her to come in heat.  This was the
summer when gas first went over $3 a gallon.  Temp were even higher.  3 major
reservers but no majors.  Just when she would have won the majors broke due to
heat and gas prices.  That hurt a lot.  So much money, nothing to show for it,
but a hole in my bank account.

  Through it all I have never gotten really angry, with one exception.  When a
judge gave an all breed win to a bitch with a rear higher than her front.  If
she had been at least decent I would not have complained.

  But since I was angry that a dog in total violation of the standard beat MY
Liddy, who is a fine looking bitch, I had to do something.  That judge has a
letter of complaint on her record.  She earned it.  The other breeds she judges
got as much vocal anger, but no one else had the nerve to write akc about it.
Was I a bad sport that day?  Maybe, but the standard is clear enough about
topline and such a violation should not have been let go by anyone.

  The next day, not only did the judge give Liddy the class, she got breed over
a champion.  I was in heaven.  And the handler dropped the lead in class.
Liddy just did her job and waited for him to catch up.  I got a longer lead for
group.

  I try to be a good sport when my dogs are in the ring.  For me it is not as
much about winning as it is about being there.

  I miss the ring, dearly.  My body does not allow me to run often, and I pay
for every dog I do show, no matter what.

  My dogs will not be in the ring, or not much.  I have no reason to spend the
money or effort to condition Sissy to the point where she could compete well.
But she would be a respectful entry.

  Standing she is spectacular.  But she has very tight ligaments in her hocks,
and while I see what would fix this, it is just not worth it since I do not
feel safe breeding her.

  Will I show in obedience?  I just don't know.  I have 3 dogs that could CD
easily.  But I keep finding other things that are more important to do.

  Now it is about making a new home for Mom nice and close to me.  Next, a kid
to get into college.  And then I am sure something else will get in the way.
On top of this I am trying to concentrate on my training business.

  I love the sport of dog showing.  I miss it dearly even when I get to a show.
 It is not the same without a competitive dog.  I don't need to win, just be
there in the ring, watching and experiencing.

  But then I don't have a long line of champions, so fun is all I have.  Maybe
I am too casual about it.  But I would give anything to be able to handle for
money to pay for my traveling to shows, so that I could travel to shows.

  I like just being a good sport.
  sheila

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.