[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l: Re: MEDICAL QUESTION'

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx, stormy435@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:42:52 -0500 (EST)

Saw Adequan used a LOT w/ horses back in the day...no adverse side effects
EXCEPT the body grows wonderfully efficient at removing foreign substances
from  the joint capsule so initially, an injection may last 2 months, the
next 6  weeks, the next a month and so on.  The bad news if the original
diagnosis  is arthritis/ cartilage damage etc, and you take away the pain w/o
changing  exercise, you effectively speed up joint damage. Saw this a lot in
horses...

For a senior dog, wonderful stuff though.

We also did a lot w/ injectable hyaluronic acid (Gosh going back 30 years,
now it is commonplace in supplements).  Similar... a real wonder drug.

Used to be HA could only be delivered to a trouble spot via injection, now,
 w/ nano-technology, you (or a dog, or a horse) can take an oral version
and  continuously replace what the body efficiently removes...expect
improvement to  take 1-2 months though when using orally

Then, for something entirely different, snake venom.  Blocks pain
response.  (Didn't you ever wonder why whatever a snake captures doesn't  run
away?).  In the athletic/animal world this could be abused, but  for people w/
chronic painful conditions this can really be a  Godsend.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 12/9/2012 4:21:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Sounds  like an ideal drug. this from maunufacturer

this medication is  used for joint failure and stiffness, decreased or loss
of mobility due to the  inflammation, and pain of canine osteoarthritis.
The most common joint  conditions in dogs include geriatric arthritis,
traumatic joint injury, hip  dysplasia, spondylitis and torn ligaments.
Geriatric
arthritis is most common  in older dogs, but any of the previously listed can
occur in younger dogs.  Visible signs of canine osteoarthritis include but
are not limited  to:
* Any kind of limp
* Difficulty getting  up
* Loss of interest in activity
*  Decreased activity
* Difficulty or refusing to go up or down  stairs
How Safe Is Adequan Canine?
Adequan Canine has been approved by  the FDA when given in the recommended
dose. However, studies of its use in  breeding and pregnant dogs have not
been done. Side effects of this medicine  have been relatively mild when used
in the correct dose. Like all kinds of  medication it is important to ask
your veterinarian for advice on whether it  is right for your pet and what
would be the best dosage to start out  with.
Side Effects of Adequan Canine
* Stinging on  injection site
* Upset stomach
*  Vomiting
* Diarrhea
* Depression
* Abnormal bleeding
However, Adequan Canine states that only 5 of  156 tested dogs had mild
side effects and the most common was pain upon  injection. The second most
common symptom was an upset stomach. According to  one study, it caused low
blood platelet count, which quickly cleared up when  the dog was taken off the
medication. Some humans even tested the medication  on themselves and
reported a stinging sensation upon injection which quickly  cleared u
Read more: Adequan Canine Side Effects -  VetInfo

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member  GSDCA
President Last Hope of  Georgia 501c3
"So Much to Do, So  Little Time"