  • From: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:05:57 -0500 (EST)

Jessica, This article although a bit lone...may be of interest to you and
others...

Please  note this article was published in the February issue of
ShowSight Magazine  and was written by Diane  Klumb.
The  Mystery of the "Bad Bite"
Elementary, My Dear Watson
by Diane  Klumb
Anyone who knows me at all probably also knows how totally excited  I am by
the ability of molecular genetics to solve the mysteries inherent in the
breeding of purebred dogs. In addition to allowing us to actually "breed for
improvement" instead of just blithely throwing the term
around, I firmly  believe that if used wisely, this new store of knowledge
represents our best  hope for both preserving the sport of dog breeding for
future generations, and  for fending off our own personal Professor Moriarty
in the guise of Ingred  Newkird & Co. But actually using this new knowledge
to our benefit, and to  the benefit of dogs, often requires us to discard
long-held and long-cherished  beliefs. Realizing that something we were
taught years ago (and in many cases  have passed on to the next generation of
breeders) was based on an incorrect  assumption, and may actually be flat-out
WRONG, can be a
difficult mental  pill to swallow, and some people just can't seem to do it.

For others, it  provides an "Ah-HA!" moment, when the seemingly
inexplicable suddenly becomes  clear. One such moment for me occurred a few
years ago,
when I learned that  prenatal disruption (via genetics or environment) of a
regulatory gene with the  delightfully improbable name sonic hedgehog (SHH)
often results in asymmetry,  where the two sides of a dog don't exactly
match. (It's a lot commoner than  you'd expect, actually, and occurs in people
to varying degrees as well. And  symmetry in people has been linked to both
beauty and longevity. Probably true  in dogs as well.)

More to the point, an asymmetric dog will invariably  crab, as he has
longer reach and more drive on one side than the other, causing  his forward
progress to eerily resemble that of a '63 Ford Fairlane with a bent  frame. Yet
stacked in profile the dog displays flawless balance, which has  confounded
judges and breeders since time immemorial.

When I shared that  discovery in a column a few years back, an amazing
number of judges who read it  made a point of telling me that it was an "Ah-HA!
moment for them, too. (One  told me that now whenever she sees a dog
crabbing, she checks the elbows on both  sides, and one is invariably set
higher on
the ribcage than the other.) An old  dog show mystery solved by molecular
genetics. Cool.

I had another of  those "Ah-HA! moments recently, when I stumbled upon a
fascinating research  paper while looking for something else entirely.
(Happens to me all the time.)  It seems that scientists have discovered that
the
size and shape of the  mammalian mandible (or lower jaw) is controlled by a
surprisingly large number  of genes - over 15 have been identified to date. A
little more digging revealed  that an equally large number are involved in
the development of the maxillary  complex, or what we refer to as the upper
jaw. The kicker is......they are  different genes, and inherited pretty much
independently. Which means, in terms  expressed as simply as humanly
possible: A DOG CAN INHERIT HIS UPPER JAW FROM  ONE PARENT, AND HIS LOWER JAW
FROM
THE OTHER.

Ah-HaH! Another  dog-breeding mystery solved, and a long-cherished belief
laid to rest. Putting  this into an everyday breeding scenario, here's what
too often happens. A young  health-screened dog of quality with a magnificent
head is widely used by  breeders on bitches who's heads could use some
improvement--depending on the  breed standard, their muzzles could be a little
shorter, or a little longer, or  maybe a little more or less refined. But
rather than the overall improvement in  the first generation breeders are
hoping for, they get maybe one nice bite (if  they're lucky and depending upon
what the bitch's parents looked like) and a  basketful of "bad" bites. (What
constitutes a bad bite varies from breed to  breed, of course.) Soon the word
goes round that this lovely-headed dog "throws  bad bites" and his stock
drops faster than Lehman Brothers. Happens all the  time.

And now we learn that it wasn't his fault at all, poor guy.  Breeders have
been laboring for years under the misconception that an off-bite  is the
result of an AR gene, and that some dogs are carrying a recessive gene  that
causes them to "throw bad bites." I've heard it said a thousand times over
the years, and so have you. But it is simply NOT TRUE. Turns out there is no
single AR gene for an undershot bite, or an overshot bite, either. There are
 literally dozens of genes involved, all inherited more or less
independently.  So, from this day forward (unless you are one of those people
now
recognized as  incapable of changing a long-held opinion in the face of new
evidence due to  insufficient activity in the anterior singulate cortex and I'm
wasting my time  here) we can all stop blaming the poor stud dog.

What is actually  happening genetically is this: Given Mendel's Law of
Independent Assortment,  which is still scientifically valid after all these
years, a percentage of the  pups from an "unlike-to-unlike" breeding in the
head department will inherit a  larger percentage of the genes for a longer
mandibular (under) jaw from one  parent, and a larger percentage of the genes
for a shorter upper maxillary  (upper) jaw from the other, resulting in bites
that are undesirable per a  particular breed's standard. NEITHER parent is
to blame - malocclusions of the  jaw, we now know, are polygenic.

Now, hopefully most of us already  understand that there is a huge genetic
difference between a MALOCCLUSION OF THE  JAW and MISALIGNMENT OF INCISORS,
which cause a reverse scissors bite in a dog  whose jaws align according to
the standard, and whose "puppy bite" is often  perfect. Misalignment of
incisors is usually caused by no more than the  particular timing of the
eruption of the individual permanent teeth - if it is  off, the upper incisors
will
force the lower ones out, resulting in a reverse  scissors. (That's why
it's correctable with mere pressure.) There's no sense  blaming this one on
either parent, either: Research has shown there are more  than FIFTY different
genes that influence the development, and timing of  eruption, of teeth.
Some of these genes, it turns out, are involved in other  processes and also
code for traits that we've actually selected FOR over the  years---the MITF
gene, for example, which is involved in pigment development  (parti-colored
dogs are parti-colored because they carry a mutation on this  gene) is also
involved in tooth development and timing of eruption, which is  likely why the
parti-colored pups in a litter often get their teeth later than  their
solid-colored brethren. The RSPO2 gene is also involved in tooth  development,
and a mutation on this one is responsible for canine head  furnishings. (And
that's just two off the top of my head, no doubt there are  dozens more, as
we now know that genes  "multi-task.)

Pauline Moon  - _www.ropajagsd.com_ (http://www.ropajagsd.com/)
Ropaja German  Shepherds:Member-GSDCAmercia & GSDCAtlanta - Best In Show
AKC JAM/AOE/ BISS  CH Ropaja's Chateau Beaujolais OFA HIC; BISS AKC CH
Ropaja's Chateau Beaulieu  OFA HIC; Multi BOB & GRP W AKC CH. Ropaja's Je Suis
Fleur De Lis;  Multi-BOB & GRP W AKC CH Ropaja's Je Suis Gabrielle.

In a message dated 1/2/2012 7:53:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date:  Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:19:02 -0600

Hi All -

I already posted to the  Dal list, but am curious to see what people here
also think. I have a Dal pup  (sorry, not a GSD pup - yet), from the litter I
did last summer.  She is  5 months old and has shed most of the major teeth
including her canines. When  she was about 3 months old, I noticed she had
a base narrow puppy tooth, but  let it go, knowing she was going to shed it
out shortly

She has now  shed it out, but I noticed the lower adult canine is still not
perfect, but  when I open her mouth, it does tip outward and the alignment
from the front is  fine and of course, she doesn't have her adult molars and
premolars in yet, so  hard to tell on the sides.

What is your opinion or how have you dealt  with this? Should I be doing
something or should I just ride it out for  awhile. I have seen bites change a
lot through the years, but have never had  any dealings with this. Her sire
and dam have PERFECT mouths with complete  dentition and there are mostly
beautiful mouths in her pedigree. She has a  head shape different then
everyone else in her litter and I am hoping that  when she grows some under
just,
it will take care of the tooth  issue.

Any other suggestions? She's not in pain, eating with no  problems and
overall perfectly healthy. I don't plan to breed her, but would  like to show
her, but that isn't at the top of my priorities  either..

Feel free to email privately - I am just looking for  information.

Jessica  MacMillan