  • From: gsdpaz2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:30:37 -0500

Ilena

Amen to your love affair, I agree it's my dogs that have pulled me through
thick and thin. Life just wouldn't be the same. Keep the faith!

Brenda

    #1: From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: AKC and mixed breeds in performance events....
    #2: From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
        Subject: My Love affair....
    #3: From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Our  logo ---hmmmmm
    #4: From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: A New AKC survey
    #5: From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: the "need" for more pups
    #6: From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: reTime to step up!
    #7: From: "Cudjoegsd" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Oh my

Msg: #1 in digest
From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:06:58 -0500

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:49:18 -0500, "Ginger Cleary"
<cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>If they can do everything with their mix-breed you
>can with your purebreds, then why should you be
>allowed to have any purebred with all those
>mix-breeds are being killed in shelters?

I'll tell you why. Because, for me and the computer
genius, our English setters (and our GSD too) are
our lives. If we could have any dog in the world
*except* a setter or a shepherd, I believe we
would both elect not to have a dog at all. At least
that's true for me. I would never want to live
without my chosen breeds. To me, any other dog
is just a dog. But my breeds are kin!  :)

One of AKC's arguments is that letting mixes
compete will open the world of the purebred dog
up to pet owners and they might choose a purebred
for their next pet -- as if pet owners are not
already exposed to our sport. Poppycock! I'm not
buying that for a second!

=46irst of all, there have never been more dog shows
on TV ever in the history of television than there are
right now. Years ago, the Garden was IT. Now they
can see some sort of dog show or event on Animal
Planet at least once a month! So they are already
plenty exposed to our world. If it didn't make them
get a purebred by now, it ain't gonna.  ;)

Secondly, there are plenty of people out there
who adopt shelter dogs and work them in obedience,
rally and agility who feel exactly the same way I
do about my chosen breeds. They will never buy a
dog -- purebred or otherwise. They simply PREFER
to adopt one from a local shelter or humane society.
And that's fine too.

Bottom line here is the financial bottom line. AKC
wants money. AKC *needs* money. Hey? I'd rather
they get it from letting Fluffy the spayed maltipoo
run agility or Max the terrier mix go to ground than
get it from all those puppies at Petland.

YMMV of course!  :)

kmc

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:17:04 EST

Got your attention, didn't it....

Here I sit at  3 am, watching over TJ who is not feeling well.   Catching up
with 929 emails....WOW, this is a new record.....

Everyday past my dogs 10th birthday is a cause of celebration for me. I
watch their every change, their weight, anything that could make them
uncomfortable.

TJ vomited yesterday and today, and even thou the vet is SURE nothing is
wrong, I disagree.  So I will keep an eye on him until he gets sick of  me.

Dexter, of course, being all about Dexter, he thinks is way too cool we are
up when he should be in bed. He is in love with his new toy, a big bone in a
rope that has become his obsession.  With one ear up and one still down,  this
little guy think he is hot stuff.  He lays next to TJ, showing off his  new
possession.  TJ pretends to be amused. He has my pillow, that's the  real prize.

One is 11 years, the other one is 11 weeks......what a range, and yes, I am
in love all over again.

My hubby has been up a couple of times to check on us, and he just shakes
his head and smiles......what a guy!!

At 11,  TJ is getting up there but, he is not there yet. When I had my
battle with cancer a few years back, I called Bobby and asked her if she  would
take TJ if  things got real bad. There was not a moment of hesitation  on her
answer.  I had other dogs, and I knew the breeders wouldn't  hesitate to help
either. Glad it never came to that, they were my motivation to  get out of bed
every morning.  You have to get up or clean the  mess.......easy choice, eh?
LOL

But to know, without a doubt, that there were people to look after MY guys,
that was such a relieve. With my kids in college and my husband traveling all
the time, you have no idea what a blessing that knowledge was.

Thru the last 20 years I have lost my share of dogs, as have we all.   To be
able to reach out to our friends, who understand the pain we feel, it is  like
a balsam.  Some hit harder than others, I will never forget Buster or  Tess.
Some didn't live long enough, even at 14. Von, Capi and Rigger, I  hoped you
had lived to 20, but even then it would've been too soon.

At moments like this, when you worry about these guys making it another  day,
 you think of your friends.
We can ask for vet advice, and you will find things to share with your vet
that will amaze the AVA.
A knowledgeable and open minded veterinarian is a blessing, trust me.

This is something the likes of Hunte and the puppy millers don't  understand.
They never will.

Our dogs are not just a number.  They are our buddies.  My dogs,  they are my
love affair.

Ileana
http://www.aol.com.

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:24:24 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2007 10:21:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
If any  board member was on the fence to decide to make the  GSDCA and Hunte
"we" that should take care of any indecision.  There should  be  no "we".

Now that he is part of the GSDCA, how long will it be  before  he starts to
include German shepherds in his transport  trucks?

Evan

Or how long before the rejected GSD's make their last trip to that "state  of
the art" incinerator.
On the fence???   There is NO fence, as far as I am  concerned.

Ileana
http://www.aol.com.

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:30:46 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2007 9:34:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I agree  Peg. I thought the AKC was for preserving the
purebred..............now  this message subliminally sent means it's ok to
mix breeds. It's like  saying go ahead breed mutts, breed your labradoodles
etc...........you can  still compete in every way a purebred can except
confirmation.

The only thing AKC seems to be "FOR" is ......AKC.  Officially, they  are a
registry. So it looks like they are moving from registering purebred dogs  to
registering anything.

I wonder if we can do car registrations thru AKC next???  I may be  easier
than the local DMV.  Seems like anything goes....

First Petland, now mixes......next: Mixes from Petland.....it reads like a
Stephen King novel......

HOWEVER!!!!  Playing devils advocate here.....at least this time they  sent a
survey. The whole thing with Petland was kind of a surprise  package.

Ileana
http://www.aol.com.

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:45:30 -0500

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:06:21 -0600,
jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx (Jean Mccann) wrote:=20

>We all have heard the excuses: He got too big,
><snippage of lame excuses> and so on and so on.

When I was a teen, the neighbors next door got a Saint
Bernard mix puppy -- I'll say that again ... a SAINT
BERNARD mix puppy -- and 'got rid of her' at 9 months
old because "we didn't think she would get THAT big!"

I have never felt more like running someone over with
a car than I did that day!  :(

kmc

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:00:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>

Count me in for contacts at the airport if need be...I will also pledge a
donation and will try and network to find safe haven for them...Dawn Restuccia

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas

---------------------------------

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: "Cudjoegsd" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:23:00 -0600

Fran-Those quotes are from an article on the GSDCA web site under the title
"Why become a member of the GSDCA".  It is true today as it was 4 years ago
when it was the result of a contest asking the members to send in
information to help compile the article.  It was written by members for new
prospective members and is even more true today.  The people who contributed
to the present article are listed at the end and we are presently updating
the article with help from Joan Fox.  The revised article should be up on
the web site in several weeks or at least after the present situation is
resolved.
The article is also featured in the new brochure that the club has printed
and was prepared by Laura Gilbert.  It is distributed by the AKC with new GS
registrations. (I think I am correct?)  D.D.