  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:08:20 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2007 2:15:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #7 in digest
From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CLARIFY...white on GSDs
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:06:40 -0400

Back in the 1959 our Foundation bitch who was line bred Hessian, always
produced a few with white toes. This white however, was gone by about 6
weeks, at the very latest 12 weeks. The white hairs were replaced by black
or red tan. GV Mannix of Fran- Jo was out of a Bernd daughter and carried
the darker pigment coming through Bernd, whereas, as Joan stated, Axel
tended toward lighter pigment.
Nancy

 I REMEMBER  EARLY ON , ON THE WEST   COAST, WHENEVER WE SAW A SHEPHERD WITH
A WHITE BLAZE MARK  ON  IT'S   FORECHEST..

 MY MENTOR RUTH SCHRIEFER (VON SCHRIEF SHEPHERDS)  SAID 'THAT  THE WHITE
BLAZE COMES FROM 'ALERT '.(.SHE WAS REFERRING TO GR.VIC.  CH. ALERT OF
MI-NOAH'S
ROM.. WHO WAS ALSO BEHIND THE HESSIAN  DOGS..
' ALERT ' WAS VERY RICHLY PIGMENTED , BUT HAD THAT SLIGHT WHITE BLAZE.

  I CAN ALSO REMEMBER  BEING WARNED ABOUT  WHITE OR LIGHT  BROWN TOENAILS ,
AS  IT WAS SAID, THAT  IT  INDICATED THE DOG CARRIED A PALING PIGMENT  FACTOR.
SOME BELIEVED THAT DOGS WHELPED WITH WHITE FEET CARRIED THE LIGHTER TOENAILS
FROM IT, EVEN WHEN THE WHITE ON THE FEET , FADED AWAY..

BARB WILLIAMS(STILL PACKING AND HOPING FOR DRY WEATHER  SO THEY CAN  POUR
THE CONCRETE  SLABS  FOR THE  DOG RUNS!, SO WE CAN MOVE SOON!!)