  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:04:45 -0500

She sounds like a girl full of life! But look at your quote from Von
Stephanitz: Let the trainer examine himself when the dog makes a mistake, or
does not understand the exercise, or fails in obedience, and let him ask "Where
am I at fault?" You need to start from the beginning, which I am sure you
already know. Start with stay and work your way to stack/stay.? The clicker is
an easy way to train, no pressure and they love it.? Good luck Kristen, you
should have a good time with a girl so full of curiosity and good times! You
know obedience also builds confidence in a dog. Training is always fun with the
clicker, my dogs all love it.
Pam

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:55:06 -0500
Subject: Re: Showing w/out double handling
From: Kristen Cabe <showgsdlist@xxxxxxxxx>

Oh Lord. What* doesn't* she do?! [?]  She whirls around, jumps up, just
generally acts silly. If I do manage to get her posed properly, she often
curves her body around so that she can look at me instead of looking ahead.
To be fair, we haven't quite gotten to the point of holding the stack
position, let alone looking alert while doing it, or holding it long enough
for the handler to step in front. She does a lot better with a different
handler, but she looks like she's been beaten half to death. With me, she's
like, "Oh! Mommy's touching me! Ohh she's petting! I'm going to try and lick
her face! Ohhh I love her sOoooo much! Oh! Does she have a treat in her
hand?! I think she does! Let me smell it! Let me smell it! What? No! Don't
take it away! Why are you trying to pick me up? What are you doing with my
elbow? Oo! Her face! I will lick her face! Huh? Why are you picking me up
again? Wait, does she still have a treat? I think I smell a treat! Where's
the treat?! It's in her HAND! Can I have it? Can I have it? Please can I
have it?! Why are you pulling my leg back? Is that a treat on the *ground*?
No, its just a rock. Why is mommy laughing? Does she want me to give kisses?
I will give kisses!!..........."  It's quite the show.
I was generally just looking for tips, because of a discussion they are
having on another (non GSD, non show) board.

Kristen
---
Let the trainer examine himself when the dog makes a mistake, or does not
understand the exercise, or fails in obedience, and let him ask "Where am I
at fault?" -- Capt. Max von Stephanitz