  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:19:01 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2006 8:10:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> ------------------------------
> ------------------------------
>
> Msg: #11 in digest
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:09:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: LeDoux Jan <silverwoodsgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Coyote question
>
> I see there has been topic posted on Coyotes ... we live in a community type
> situation on a acre of land that has woods behind us but a bit off in the
> distance more homes. Over the years we have always had Coyotes but with all
> the
> new building and homes not as many,
> There was a little dog that was killed last summer down the hill from us the
> people just let it out to go to the bathroom for a couple minutes called it
> to come back in and went out to find it and found it dead all torn up by the
> coyotes (plus they have gotten many cats).. with all the building it seems
> like they are getting braver and braver we also see Moose, Deer and some Elk
> very close to where we live..
> OK to my question I have been told over and over again not to worry Coyotes
> would never be brave enough bother our dogs they would back off at GSD's..
> Our acre is totaly fenced and there is always two together at all times last
> week there was a pack of them at the bottom on the hill you could clearly
> hear
> them packing up and this was late morning.
> .. and yes we have seen one or two clearly at our fence line looking up the
> hill towards our house where the dogs are.. The ground of course is frozen
> now.
> As we both work do any of you think there is a concern here?
> Jan

  JAN: I DO THINK THERE IS NEED FOR CONCERN. THE COYOTES WHEN THEY GET REALLY
HUNGRY, CAN BECOME QUITE BRAZEN AND THEY USED TO  JUMP THE FENCES WHERE WE
LIVED IN THE FOOTHILLS OF THE  SEQUOIA  NATIONAL FOREST... AND   CARRY OFF THE
PYGMY GOAT BABIES , OR YOUNG  SMALL ADULTS, THE WOMAN ACROSS THE ROAD FROM US
WAS RAISING..

  WE PUT  THE SAME HEAVY DUTY CHAIN LINK, THAT WAS USED FOR THE  6 FOOT
FENCING,  ACROSS THE TOPS OF ALL OF OUR RUNS. THE RUNS WERE 10 FEET ACROSS AND
60
FEET LONG, , ALL ON  CONCRETE SLABS SO NO ONE COULD DIG OUT OR IN.. AND WERE
SECURELY FASTENED DOWN, AND ..HAD LOCKS ON THE GATES..ALSO HAD 3 FEET HIGH
EXTRA
FINE MESH WIRE, COVERING THE ENTIRE BOTTOM  PART OF ALL THE RUNS... ALONG THE
 OUTSIDE OF THE RUNS AND GATES, TO KEEP THE RATTLESNAKES  AND TARANTULA'S
OUT...
 WE  TOPPED THE RUNS, ORIGINALLY ,TO PROTECT OUR SHEPHERDS AGAINEST  THE
MOUNTAIN LIONS,  AND BEARS, BUT THE COYOTES, ESPECIALLY,   IN LARGE PACKS
BECAME A
THREAT TOO..
  WE ALWAYS BROUGHT OUR  DOGS,  INTO THE DEN IN OUR HOUSE AT SUNSET....WHERE
WE HAD THEIR CRATES SET UP... ALL  8   OF THEM...
WE LEARNED  A LOT ABOUT SURVIVNG IN THE WILDS!!!   IT WAS DIFFICULT, BUT
QUITE BEAUTIFUL..AND .WELL-WORTH IT... WHEN YOU GET IT ALL SET-UP SO YOU DON'T
HAVE TO WORRY...ABOUT YOUR DOGS.. BARB WILLIAMS