  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:11:52 EST

In a message dated 12/1/2006 4:18:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #4 in digest
From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:24:17 EST
Subject: Last night's storm

In case anyone is wondering about the winter storm that came through the St.
Louis area last night, it was a bad one. Most of the snow was west of St.
Louis, but the ice was probably the bigger problem. I live in Illinois, about
30
miles southwest of the city ... pretty much on the southeastern edge of last
night's bad weather. I have never seen so many trees ripped apart by ice and
the wind that followed. We lost power about 8:30 last night. The whole area
lost power. Peg said she saw the sky light up orange, then pink, then blue as

she was driving home, about the time everything went black. Although we live
in a rural area, it was strange to look outside and see not even a glow from
light, anywhere. The storm started with rain ... lots of it. When I got home
from work, the dogs were drenched to the bone, it was sleeting, and what rain

drops were still falling were freezing on contact. I brought the dogs into
the basement, which I wouldn't normally do unless it is really cold, but
since
they were so wet I was worried that any cold was too much. Well ... About an
hour later, I checked downstairs and the basement was flooding. This old
house has a basement that drains into a creek, and the creek was out for the
first
time in years. We got the dogs out, brought them upstairs for the night, and
I put a plug in the basement drain. Since we're on a well, we not only had
no power, we had no water. Thanks goodness we have a small gas wall furnace
in
the upstairs hall, so we had heat on the second floor. This morning Peg and
I headed to Lowes for extension cords to run from our small generator to the
well pump, expecting several days in the dark. The news on the radio said
that
close to half a million homes were without power this morning. Since we live
in a rural area, I completely expected to be one of the last to get power
back, and we were preparing for that. Except for the amazing amount of damage

... power lines down ... trees down ... roofs damaged ... cars damaged ...
the
ice was really something to see. I stopped at my auto body shop in Belleville

and found that a limb had fallen on the wires and ripped the electrical
service off the wall. I don't know yet how badly the roof is damaged. The
power in
that area is out anyway so I'll worry about cleaning up that mess tomorrow.
Peg was supposed to have some test done today, prepping for surgery she is
having next Friday, but the Hospital is also without power so they were
postponed. On the way home this afternoon, Peg said we'll get home and the
power will
be on. I laughed and said "wish in one hand, spit in the other, and see which

one fills up first." <G> The power was on when we got home, and I immediately

asked her to wish for a winning lottery ticket. <G> There is a heavy, snapped

off, ice covered limb hanging from our Pecan tree, resting lightly on the
power lines that come into the house. Hopefully it will stay there until the
sun
can melt the ice off of the trees. It's too high for me to get to.
The creek is down, the basement is drained, the power is on, the dogs are dry

and happy to be in their kennels, the rest of my family have places to stay
until they're power is back, and we're counting our blessings. I hope that
everyone affected by this storm will be as lucky.

Tom Langlitz

 TOM AND ALL IN THE STORM ZONE:  MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL WHO
ARE  IN THE PATH OF THIS  DEVASTATING STORM,  HOPING WITH ALL MY HEART, THAT
YOU AND YOURS AND ALL YOUR  DOG KIDS, AND ANIMALS...STAY SAFE!!!!!!!! BARB
WILLIAMS