  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:54:05 EST

In a message dated 11/24/2006 4:11:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, Showgsd-
Msg: #2 in digest
From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: it's a dog show - not a horse race....
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:06:08 -0800

When I was twelve, I was given this book as a present after the purchase of
our first registered family dog, Eagle at Baldwin. It was from reading this
book and learning all I could that when asked what I wanted to do when I
grow up -- I said "I want to be a dog breeder." I read that first book
until the binding fell apart and the pages were everywhere. I bought
another one of the newer versions, but the older was better. A few things I
learned from that book:

1) Open, constructive discussion of the breed with other breeders should be
the norm, at least that was what I got from some of the dog descriptions in
the book. I think it used to be, but sadly today this isn't the case. I
don't know why. Nowadays whenever someone starts talking about dogs in what
should be construed as a constructive manner -- people are unable to
maintain focus and immediately internalize the discussion; as if the dog
being discussed could give a rip if his shoulder isn't perfect, or his back
is soft or his hocks are locked. The people immediately believe that if you
say "Anything" for the dog you are their instant good friend but if you say
anything in the negative about the dog that you don't like "them".
2) Study, research, and more Study of the breed, the dogs, the pedigrees,
dog physiology, were extremely important BEFORE breeding the litter.
Personally, it was 2 years after I "officially" got into dogs before I bred
a bitch. In those 2 years, I devoured everything I could read, asked so
many questions, and had umpteen hours of discussion with as many successful
people as possible. I still try to do this, but with the current way number
one is going, it is increasingly difficult.
3) Respect of the people who had been successful with their breeding
programs was something that was put throughout the book. I think respect is
lacking in the people in the breed today. If the correct amount of respect
for the breed were more evident, I think we would not see animals in the
ring that exhibit some of the structural deficiencies that are ever
apparent. I also think a greater respect for the breed would not allow
breeders, handlers and judges to continue to promote and propagate animals
who continually produce offspring with physiological problems which are
dangerous to the breed as a whole. Finally if there were greater respect
for the breed, we would not have the judges saying "I had no choice to put
this dog up -- it's what was brought to me to judge", employees saying
"don't breed outside the block of dogs I handle for, or I won't handle for
you anymore", employees saying, "If you pay me enough, I can make this dog
not only the number one show dog, but the number one producer", employees
saying, "Don't buy the puppy from this breeder, buy one from me, I'll give
you a handling discount", and breeders saying, "I can't get any winning
satisfaction from breeding a dog that is correct, because it keeps getting
dumped -- maybe I should breed one that the judges will put up and will tow
my handler along". Respecting the breed should be a higher priority of the
people involved, at least that's what I think.

Probably time to dig in some boxes and reread that book, it's been a few
years since I did.

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:
1995 US GV Spencer, AOE-1996 US GVx Lilly, Jubilee ROM

 I ALMOST ALWAYS FIND MYSELF IN FULL AGREEMENT WITH KATHLEEN...  AND
CONCERNING THIS  THREAD, STILL DO..BARB WILLIAMS