  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:14:49 -0400

Barb, love ya... but it won't work.

Breeder licensing does NOT "stop the puppymills". As a general rule they can
AFFORD the licensing fees. We have GSDs in shelters (and all sorts of other
breeds) because of irresponsible OWNERS. It is not a "glut" on the market.
And I'll be DAMNED (pardon my french) if I will feel guilty because somebody
else is irresponsible.  And yes I do care about them. Hell I just adopted a
shelter dog yesterday and placed a WGSD two weeks ago that was dumped. If I
were independently wealthy I'd get them all out.

Gary Patronek -- one of the co-authors of all the actual reseach on dog
populations -- makes the distinction between 'overpopulation' and 'excess
euthanasia' which can be the result of either overpopulation or excess
relinquishment.

Across the nation, where there's an excess euthanasia problem it is now more
often excess relinquishment than true overpopulation. There ARE
exceptions -- places that have too many puppies. But these are becoming
steadily less common.

You can slap one label on both problems if you want, and if you want, you
can use 'overpopulation.'   But doing that, makes it harder to talk about
the
need for two different kinds of actions so I don't think it's a good idea.

Moreover, the use of 'overpopulation' to cover both problems is a standard
AR technique, used to suggest a need for more birthrate reduction via
mandatory spay/neuter laws.   So when our own people do it, we are shooting
ourselves in the foot as far as fighting bad laws.

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Never underestimate the ability of the hypocritical to hoodwink the
sanctimonious. www.rihadin.com <http://www.rihadin.com>

GINGER AND ALL:  YOU ALL ARE SO CONCERNED ABOUT TAKING AWAY YOUR
RIGHTS...WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF ALL THOSE  WHO END UP IN SHELTERS, ETC. OR
WORSE???
IF YOU ARE PLAYING BY THE RULES AND WITHIN THE RULES, THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING
WORRY ABOUT...

I , FOR ONE, WELCOME THOSE WHO SEE THE PROBLEMS OF  A GLUT ON THE MARKET AND
THE SHELTERS AND POUNDS AND ARE TRYING TO DO SOMETHING TO STOP THE FLOW!!!
THE AKC IS CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO HELP!!
THE MORE THE MERRIER TO FILL THEIR PURSE!!!  STOP AND THINK !!
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY GSD'S ENDING UP IN SHELTERS
AND POUNDS???
 TOO MANY PEOIPE BREEDING TOO MANY LITTERS!! SIMPLE
 ERGO!!! THE ANSWER IS TO STOP THEM FROM BREEDING SO MANY LITTERS, WITHOUT
PAYING IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THOSE WHO WILL END UP IN THE  SHELTERS, ETC...
THESE MONEY MONGERS WHO BREED SO MANY LITTERS, SURELY DO NOT GIVE A TINKER'S
DAMN AS LONG AS THEY GET THEIR BLOOD MONEY.. FOR THE SAKE OF THIS GERMAN
SHEPHERD BREED ,WAKE UP AND START LOOKING AT THE REAL ENEMY!!!  JMO BARB
WILLIAMS