  • From: Epeters93@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:27:24 EDT

In a perfect world we could show more than one  venue a day at a sight and
we would all have the opportunity to see any and all  of them we want to:
herding early in the morning and conformation later in  the day on one day
and then agility and conformation the next and  rally/obedience and
conformation the next, etc. etc.  As the number of dogs  being shown in
conformation
continues to decline I think we might not need to  take the same length of
time to show fewer dogs, but that's just my  opinion.

I also see a trend where the other venues are  becoming as competitive and
will have as many if not more numbers than  conformation.  Not only is there
a reward factor in working with your own  dog that you don't get when you
hand them over to a handler but the limited  number of good handlers and
their cost could become prohibitive to many  people.

Right now if you want to show more than one dog in  the classes /specials
in conformation you rarely have a chance to get to see the  other venues
never the less participate in them.  There are people that can  and do it -
very
well.  I'm just not organized enough yet - but it's a goal  for sure.

As for herding - the difficulty with having it at the sight is
multifaceted.  I'm certainly not the expert but I know the A course and C
course have
different sheep.  And the sheep for the various runs of  competition need to
be switched after so many runs.  And, unlike agility  and or rally
equipment the sheep need to be moved in, housed out of the  elements, fed,
watered,
and the testing areas need to be certain  physical sizes/lengths/etc.  Now,
this information is coming from a  student and I'm sure there are
instructors out there that can be more  specific.  But the cost is a LOT more
than if
you find a local facility  near the national that already has sheep - the
right kind, the right  numbers of, etc. etc.

 We of course just need to know if it's worth the cost and I would  imagine
every location would be different and then of course is it a venue we  are
willing to do a break even or take a loss on in order to get it on site for
the show?  I know we'll learn as we do this but I have a perfect example of
 how we learn as we go:

Monday night when Kelly Malone got there with the sheep that were used  for
the herding instinct they were unloaded into a round pen in the field.
The grounds crew at Springfield had been told their cattle fencing was not
going  to hold the sheep and they needed to reinforce it.  They did, with
flexible  fencing - so the sheep walked into the round pen and proceeded to go
right out  the bottom of the pen by leaning through the nice flexible fencing
it was lined  with.  So, to start with we have sheep all over the field.
Once they  are gathered up(by GV Drummer no less)  and put into the pens that
are  under the tent we realize the inside corrals are not connected to each
other.  With sheep again walking all over the field Kelly and I proceeded
to take the twine off the hay bales to tie the pens together.  We were
there until midnight.  The next day the grounds crew put bales of straw  around
the outside perimeter of the pen to hold the sheep in and pins in the
corrals under the tent.  I think we can laugh about it now but Monday night  it
was not funny.  I showed up with Burger King at 7ish for Kelly as she  had
not eaten since morning but we were sitting there eating cold burgers and
fries many hours later.

I guess we tend to think a "fairgrounds" would have the right equipment
and ability to contain live animals but maybe not all of them.  The grounds
people at Springfield were wonderful to work with - very customer service
oriented and nice - but I'm sure bringing the sheep to the Nationals cost a
lot  more than taking the herding to the sheep.

I personally would like to see all the venues right there and be able  to
move around to them all to at least watch if not participate in a few.   It's
probably my only argument for picking one spot if the right one was ever
found.  Until that point moving around to other locations seems like the
fair thing for all.  Last, Like Sally, I'm expecting grief for writing this
but awe what to heck it's Sunday and I'm watching football.

Elaine Peters
Regency German Shepherds
Medina, OH

In a message dated 10/25/2009 1:29:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Msg: #6  in digest
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ruth  Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: National  showsites

We love herding onsite. We would like to see the show and  have everyone
see us also.
What is expensive is bringing in the sheep,  assuming the facilities are
appropriate.
Ruth