  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:25:55 EDT

Msg: #1 in digest
From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:18:53 EDT
Subject: Study on Hip Dysplasia at Cornell

I was reading about some of the studies funded by the Morris Animal
Foundation, and thought this looked really interesting:

Hip Dysplasia
D04CA-135
Year 2 of 2: $142,631
ââ?¬Å?Mapping Refinement of Quantitative Trait Loci for Canine Hip
Dysplasia�

Grant Type: Established Investigator
Principal Investigator: Rory Todhunter, BVSc, Ph.D.
Institution: Cornell University
Hip dysplasia is one of the most common inherited traits in dogs with an
extremely high incidence in some large breeds. It is caused by mutations in
multiple genes. In previous studies, investigators discovered the genetic
markers
that point to the chromosomal regions that harbor the genes that contribute
to hip dysplasia. In this study, they will narrow down these regions through
additional genetic evaluation. By narrowing the regions that harbor hip
dysplasia genes across breeds, they hope to discover the contributing
mutations
and use that information to design genetic tests that can be used to prevent
the
propagation of dysplastic dogs.
Partially sponsored by John Skaradowski &Marty Kennedy in memory of Sue
Skaradowski
Partially sponsored by Fred W. Meyer, Jr.
The link to the studies is:
_http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/apply/studies/dog/current.asp_
(http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/apply/studies/dog/current.asp)

 Thank You for sharing this!!!
 THIS IS A  very exciting break-thru Research and we are all waiting to see
the outcome.
I know a couple of  people whose dogs, who are diagnosed with HD ,  have been
accepted into  DNA ..  HD studies..
We are Truly Living in Exciting Times!!! barb Williams