  • From: Elaine Ebestep <tykegsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:30:47 -0700 (PDT)

There are many behavioral characteristics that are clearly inherited, and,
because of the short lives of dogs, can be seen in one human generation.  One
that I observed was that, when excited or very happy, my bitch and a grandchild
who was never near her clacked their jaws - a rapid opening and closing of
their mouths, like chattering when cold.  I never saw any other sheps do this,
but I found out that many dogs with Hessian blood lines did this.  I have also
seen gun shy/storm shy in certain blood lines.  The bitch who owns me shows
many of the character traits of her father.  More is inherited than just the
structure and coat colors in our dogs.  That's where their protective nature,
intelligence, desire to please  compared to other breeds comes from.  That's
why they aren't Labrador Retrievers.
  Elaine
  Diane
I agree with you 100% on your very clever and well worded assessment. When
we get a "looney" in for conditioning/training I call it "a glich in the
microchip", lol. We believe wholeheartedly that temperament, is as genetic
as coat color or size. You can mask , through training, insanity and to a
degree, cowardice...which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but you can never
truly make that dog sound. Likewise, a dog can go through Hell and back ,
and come back to normalcy.
Kathy Tank