[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V2 #696...........16 in Litter

  • From: EllenH33@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:47:25 EST

From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:17:52 EST
Subject: Re: 16  in Litter
About 12 yrs ago, I had a bitch who gave me 13 on her first litter(she was
85 lbs)  11 survived.  That seemed normal to me, then, as I was getting back
into breeding after several years of not doing the "puppy thing".

Not so sure about only big bitches giving large litters.  My first GSD litter
of 13 was out of a bitch who was 60 lbs. soaking wet.  All pups were hale and
hearty and she had no problems whelping.  Totally different bloodlines of
what we have today.  Old Longworth, etc.
Then another bitch (also about 60 lbs) whelped a litter in 1968 and had 12
pups.   All 3 stillborn  were solid black bitches. The firstborn, a solid black
male and her sables and bi's were fine.   It isn't the size of the bitch that
determines size and health of a litter, it's her genetics, IMO.

***From w.NY***
http://www.geocities.com/jeenellyn33/