[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V2 #396---German Shepherds in the UK

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:27:43 EST

In a message dated 2/3/05 11:41:00 PM Central Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> From: "Windvane" <windvane@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Crufts entry
> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:44:45 -0800
>
> a bit of trivia, my friend who lives in England told me the reason the GSD
> is called a Alsatian  is because after the war with Germany, they didn't
> want a breed called GERMAN shepherd . And they still call them Alsatian. my
> friend Ruth lived in Canada but has moved back to England to be close to
> family in her golden years, and took her GSD  back home with her,(she has
> one of Ren McGregor's dogs) She wants me to come stay with her to see crufts
> but it seems I never have the time.
>
> Emilie C.Woodruff

This was true at one time and as a genetic Brit I can attest to the hesitancy
to utilize "German" but seems time may heal most wounds.  Now The Kennel Club
(AKC equivalent) calls them German Shepherd Dog (Alsatian).  They are for a
time period including the "Alsatian" in parentheses.  The original "Parent
Club" is now named The National German Shepherd Dog Breed Council.  A few years
ago a group of breeders who preferred what many of us in North America refer to
as the "English" style dog over the "International" style dog formed a new
club, "The German Shepherd Dog (Alsatian) Club of The United Kingdom.  All are
registered with The Kennel Club.  I was quickly corrected last year at Crufts
when I referred to one of the "International" style dogs, (which were a
preponderance of the entries at Crufts in 2002 and 2004) as a "German" style
dog.

I have the official handbooks for 2003 for both organizations on my desk
right now so I could make sure the titles were correct.

Betty J. Johnson
Tintagel
www.Tintagelgsckcs.com

Betty