  • From: "Susan Gionfriddo" <gsheps@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:23:15 -0500

Hi Katie:
At 6 months of age most pups would have their pasterns up by now. However,
other things can effect pasterns such as: is your puppy heavy-boned? Has she
gotten done with teething? (some lines are slow at the teething process). And
then of course, the dogs in the pedigree and if they are known to produce
pastern problems is also a big factor.  When you say down, are they slightly
down or bordering on sublexed?

In the past, if I don't see my puppies pasterns up to where I want to see them
by 4 and a half months, I switch them (gradually over a few days) to a as low
in protein and as low in fat dry food. I gave up on the Maalox, etc. because I
truly believe it doesn't work and might screw the puppy up in other ways. The
times I did try that, I learned that my puppies pasterns usually went up
anyways at that age and it was probably just the puppy and not the Maalox.

Someone told me years ago about the low fat/low protein route. When I tried
that it seemed my puppies pasterns got better within a week. But I am taking
about slightly down, not sublexed, which is a total different ballgame. What
food are you feeding her now?

I believe the food I found that was the lowest in protein and fat was Science
Diet for Older/Overweight dogs...but it has been some time since I have needed
to use it so I may be wrong. Also, I never feed my puppies food formulated for
puppies. I feed them adult dry food from the time I start weaning. I think that
helps, in my own opinion, with pasterns and pano.

A lot of heavy boned pups have a longer time getting their pasterns up. That is
why I asked about that. And teething causes pain and stress and is a reason why
a lot of pups ears and pasterns go down during that process.

If you would like to send me her pedigree I could also tell you if I know of
any dogs/bitches in it that produced pastern problems that I have seen or know
of. Maybe your bitch's pedigree is doubled up somewhere for weak pasterns? Do
you know if any of her littermates have that still going on?

Good Luck!

Sue Gionfriddo
Zimsu German Shepherds
  #1: From: TISHW@xxxxxxx<mailto:TISHW@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: Best of Winners
  #2: From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: unbelievable
  #3: From: ELG440@xxxxxxx<mailto:ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: I try so hard
  #4: From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  #5: From: "Melissa" <melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: showgsd-l Digest V2 #3128
  #6: From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
<arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Why should I?
  #7: From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: GAITING DOGS..IS IT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT?
  #8: From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx<mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  #9: From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx<mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: down pasterns
  #10: From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx<mailto:LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx>
  #11: From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx<mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  #12: From: Ruth Scheubler
<rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Why should I?

  Msg: #1 in digest
  From: TISHW@xxxxxxx<mailto:TISHW@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:11:13 EST

  In a message dated 11/10/2008 9:47:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  Gatlinp@xxxxxxx<mailto:Gatlinp@xxxxxxx> writes:
  He  wasn't there. No Best of Winners

  Peg

  Since Winners Bitch was BOS isn't she automatically Best of Winners?

  Tish

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #2 in digest
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:23:23 -0800
  From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Becky T. Dickson wrote:
  > http://puppyprofits.com/<http://puppyprofits.com/>
  >
  >Not for the faint of heart, folks.
  >A friend did some research and contacted the hosting company. The company
says there's is nothing they can do.
  >I am sick to my stomach.
  >
  >*That is sickening!!  This sort of thing is popular in rural Nevada. I have
never been to one, and would not go if asked.  Doris E*

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #3 in digest
  From: ELG440@xxxxxxx<mailto:ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:24:20 EST

  In a message dated 11/11/08 7:17:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
  denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
  The best  thing about being a "newbie" is the joy you find in the little
  things,  before you become jaded, soured, cranky, competitive...

  I hate it when people know me that well.

  Evan  Ginsburg
  Asgard German Shepherds
  http://www.asgardgsd.com/<http://www.asgardgsd.com/>

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:31:46 -0500

  There must be...dog fighting is illegal in most of the country.

  Peggy

admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  > VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org<http://showgsd.org/>
  > NATIONAL BLOG -
http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/<http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/>
  10:01 AM

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #5 in digest
  From: "Melissa" <melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:33:53 -0500

  Several years ago a stud owner told me her dog hadn't produced missing
  teeth.  My bitch had a full mouth but had a sister with a missing P1.  ONLY
  a week later while he's tied to my bitch, the owner mentions she needs to
  place his daughter because of a missing molar!  I was NOT HAPPY!     They
  all went to pet homes anyway (nice pups but not better than I already had).
  It's to the benefit of the STUD, the BITCH and the breed to at least TRY to
  avoid doubling up on any known faults or problems.

  JMO!
  Melissa
  www.melanashepherds.com<http://www.melanashepherds.com/>

  From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
<arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:31:59 GMT

  The resident pet owner here has a couple questions to those who wish to
disenfranchise my right, and the rights of other members, to vote for the
judges of any, or all, venues at the National.
  First, what will stop you from going one step further some day and
disenfranchising our rights to vote for the President or members of the BOD
because you might decide we don't know enought about those running for election?

  My second question - if you got your wish to disenfranchise our rights to
vote in part, or in total, why should we continue to be members of this Club,
or any club?  Why would anyone want to remain a voiceless member of such an
exclusive club or why would anyone want to join such a club as a new member?

  Thanks!

  Gayle & the Hooligans!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uidB94023<http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uidB94023>
 - Link to The Hooligans Albums
  Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your needs.

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4tvKJfHxgKsEHbcZBA5hfMiOXMoxyImZvOQ9idWZlu8ORYke/?count34567890<http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4tvKJfHxgKsEHbcZBA5hfMiOXMoxyImZvOQ9idWZlu8ORYke/?count34567890>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #7 in digest
  From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:40:15 -0600

  hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Steve and Christine Grainger
  WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM<http://www.hickoryhillgsd.com/>

  In my original post to the list regarding the intersex judging procedure, I
  mentioned the thrill of having the dogs moving, then being able to compare
  each and allowing the crowd to get behind its "favorite." After re- reading
  that post, I think I did a disservice perhaps to a few "newbies" by
  implying that gaiting the dogs was more for a "thrill" than for any true
  benefit of evaluation. I want to correct this so perhaps some of you may
  understand why gaiting dogs is important. A few years back, I was having a
  conversation with a top breeder. We were discussing a previous National. I
  told the breeder that I had actually liked the style of the bitch that had
  been sired by her dog, better than my own bitch and had I been in the
  center of the ring that day..maybe the outcome would have been different.
  The other breeder responded sincerely to me and stated "Your bitch won,
  because after they were gaited several times, the weakness of my bitch
  started showing..she isn't exactly clean coming and going and her back
  could be a bit tighter..your bitch did not have these issues..my bitch
  started breaking down when she was exerted." Most animals can run on
  adrenaline..for a lap or two, however just as this seasoned breeder stated,
  exertion exploits weaknesses that are easily covered up with just a couple
  of  passes around the ring. I don't mean running the dogs into the ground
  to the point of exhaustion..but running them to the point where they are a
  little more than slightly fatigued.You might be surprised at what you see
  when the dogs are "worked"..some that look great in the beginning..don't
  look so great in the end. Hope this post helps clarify what I didn't say
  before..C

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #8 in digest
  From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx<mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:42:42 EST

  I don't know how the question regarding immune deficiency or immune
  insufficiency could be worded, but it's become a big problem in GSDs.   And
the basis
  for a lot of other problems.   When ever I mention Dreamer with his immune
  problems, I get LOTS of emails about their dogs with same.   (Allergies, skin
  problems, pano, possible trigger for torsion, etc., etc., etc.)
  Stormy
  In a message dated 11/12/08 2:07:09 PM, gsheps@xxxxxxx<mailto:gsheps@xxxxxxx>
writes:

  > I agree, Liz, that we should reintroduce the questionaire back into the Red
  > Book! And not just with 5 questions! Granted, not all people will answer
  > honestly, but I think most would and it helps to know these things,
especially
  > when choosing a stud dog for a particular bitch/bloodline. I is always best
if
  > we can make as informed a decision as possible when breeding two dogs
  > together!
  > Sue Gionfriddo

  "You may never know what results come from your action.
  But if you do nothing, there will be no result."
  Mahatma Gandhi
  Stormy Hope
  *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*
  www.FairhopeGSD.com<http://www.fairhopegsd.com/>

  **************
  Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news &amp;

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #9 in digest
  From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx<mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:44:47 EST

  Katie, talk to  the folks that know the lines behind your gal.   There are
  quite a few home remedies, and sometimes after about six weeks they  come up
and
  sometimes they don't.  (Makes me wonder actually the worth of  the home
  remedies/supplements).  BUT...the folks that have had experience  w/ those
lines
  should be able to tell you what to expect in this instance.

  Good luck:)

  Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
  visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds<http://www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds>

  In a message dated 11/12/2008 2:45:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
  lockefam1@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lockefam1@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  Hi   Does anyone have any ideas for down pasterns, its a 6 mos old
  bitch  she has been on 22%protein food along with vitamin c & E,
  selenium,magnesium, maalox. Am I missing anything other than probably
  patience??

  Thanks in Advance
  katie

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #10 in digest
  From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx<mailto:LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:48:33 EST

  In a message dated 11/12/2008 4:21:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
  TISHW@xxxxxxx<mailto:TISHW@xxxxxxx> writes:
  Since  Winners Bitch was BOS isn't she automatically Best of  Winners?

  In order to have a BOW both winners MUST return in the ring. If one does  not
  then the judge may not award BOW.

  I have seen this done at shows when it is a major on one side and they do
  not like the other winner. They do not return in the ring so the judge cannot

  award BOW and award a major to the opposite winner. Nice, no but they do  it.

  Lee Brown

more!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #11 in digest
  From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx<mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:51:46 EST

  In this hoax, the person/people promoting it is not saying dogfighting (I
  won't go to the website, so second hand), but whelping pups for that, and
then
  sending them to Mexico for the dogfights.   Disgusting hoax, and thanks, Dawn
  for letting those who were placed on the website unknowingly, know.

  Stormy
  In a message dated 11/12/08 2:32:39 PM,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  > There must be...dog fighting is illegal in most of the country.
  >
  > Peggy

  Msg: #12 in digest
  Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:50:50 -0800 (PST)
  From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>>

  That sums it up nicely!
  Ruth

[...]

POST is Copyrighted 2008. All material remains the property of the original

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org<http://showgsd.org/>
  NATIONAL BLOG -
http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/<http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/>