  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:39:54 -0400

Zoa,
I very much agree with you. In my limited experience I have to say I think a
great handler is one who deals honestly with you and the dog. If they can be
with your dog and the dog wants to perform for them. I also don't want a
handler who doesn't want to give an honest evaluation of my dog. I can take
being told the dog isn't quite what I think it is, I dislike dishonesty.? I
think you are right it boils down to relationship skills.
This is why I like Ashley. As a junior she show integrity, honesty and an
ability to form good working relationships with the dogs and people. She is one
very talented handler and will be known as one of the "greats" in the future.
We are fortunate to have some really really great junior handlers in the
shepherd ring.
Pam

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:56:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The difference between handlers

Interesting question.? I am going to skip over the skills?involved in?excellent
presentation of the dog, as I'm sure others will deal with those.? To me, two
things separate a technician from a great handler and they both deal with?the
handler's ability to establish and maintain relationships.? The first
relationship is with the dog.? Some?handlers just make dogs "sparkle" in the
ring because the dog loves working with that handler even when the owner is not
there to double.? I can't take my eyes off a beautiful dog working with its
handler like that.? Jimmy and Dallas come to mind.? I can take my eyes off a
beautiful dog with a lackluster attitude in the ring.? The second relationship
is with the owner.? I want honesty, integrity, good sportsmanship at events,
and
a sense of humor.? I also want my handler to help me network when he or she
feels it would be beneficial to me.? I enjoy socializing with my handler and
others at shows.? I
 don't want a handler to lie to me about the worth of my dog and then use my
dog
as the gas dog for the Fla Circuit, for?example.? I am also not interested in
drama and temper tantrums at shows.? So,?the difference?between good and great
boils down to relationship skills for me!
?Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com