  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:57:37 -0400

Paulette,
I think there are still people on the list who care and want to discuss
everything GSD. I know a while back several people started talking about GSD
greats of the past and books to read. Which I have purchased one and trying to
get the other. But then it stopped. Then you posted regarding the GSD standard
in the review and I was again thrilled to gain knowledge of our breeds past and
future, how people read the standard. I am fairly new and I love nothing more
than reading or learning about this breed, so I am thrilled when everyone
starts sharing their experiences, concerns or observations, opinions regarding
how this breed can move forward and not stagnate, how to get more entries(which
is as big a concern for a newbie as it is for someone who has been in this
breed a long time).
I am concerned about people on this list who may be in for bad weather, whether
or not they may need help. I am glad people can turn to this list to find
information regarding anything GSD. It is a part of the list.
I am finding people on this list who have a TON of information that I just
didn't have access to. I go through every post to make sure I don't miss
information.
I hope this list is a way to bridge the gap between?long time GSD person and us
newcomers. I don't know of other newcomers who aren't interested in seriously
learning about this breed and I know some long time people who are more than
willing to share their knowledge. But I think you may be right about some, not
interested in sharing knowledge and certainly not interested in any other point
of view. I am assuming this is a personaltiy thing and not a viewpoint of the
list in general. I also choose to believe that newbies generally are serious
about learning and most long time gsd people want to share their knowledge. I
also think that not all newbies are idiots who know nothing and not all long
time gsd movers and shakers know everthing. It is always a 2 way street.
So I hope the apathy is not apathy but people taking a break so to speak.
But anytime you want to discuss the standard, I am all ears.......
Pam

Msg: #8 in digest
From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sick and Tired of Dog Talk???
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:36:29 -0400

While I don't have a "shiny happy" persona, I do my best to keep a positive
outlook on life.  Sometimes, in certain situations, it's difficult to do
so...  Like when I think about the upcoming presidential election.  But, I
digress...

Another thing that makes me kinda sad is this List...  The sport of GSD
conformation showing is exhibiting serious signs of morbidity.  (Maybe
dying, maybe not.)  It doesn't take a "Pillar of the Breed" to figure this
out.

There is one thing I've learned from my life experiences - *apathy* kills.

I hear experienced GSD fanciers say over and over, "Newbies don't want to
learn.  They don't have the desire to be serious students of the Breed."

While there may be some truth to that, I'd like to counter with - do you,
who subscribe to the above, have any desire to *teach* and share your
knowledge?

What has transpired on this List lends credence to *both* claims...  From
what I can tell, Newbies and Oldies alike are suffering from a serious case
of apathy...

Here's why I say what I say...  A week or so ago, I found an article in an
old Review regarding the GSD Standard.  I thought the article was great and
very much applicable today.  I posted a synopsis of this article to the
List.

I was hoping my post would generate some lively conversation re. our
Standard.  I received exactly *two* responses to this post.  (Thanks, you
two!)

Yet, somebody posts they are looking for a concrete Shepherd and just look
at the number of responses this post has  generated.  Or post something
about the weather and check out the abundance of comments.

I see nothing wrong with posts such as these, but I do see something wrong
with what this List has become...  Sometimes, it seems like everyone is
willing to talk about anything *but* German Shepherd Dogs!

Several times in the past, I've tried to initiate serious discussion
relating to GSD's and have gotten nowhere.  For the l
ongest time, I took
this personal...  That I'm just a Newbie and nobody is interested in what I
have to say.  However, after talking to other Listers, who aren't Newbies at
all,  I know this isn't the case...  These very experienced and successful
fanciers have tried to stimulate GSD discussions and they too have been very
disappointed by the lack of interest.

This List is *incredible* when it comes to helping one another with whatever
type of problem - whether it be dog related or very personal.  However, this
List could be a *phenomenal* teaching and learning tool!  Look at the
membership roster and think about the cumulative years of experience
represented there.  It kinda blows my mind!

Okay, I'll shut up now, but before I go, I've got to ask both you Newbies
and Oldies...

Are you sick and tired of talking about the German Shepherd Dog and all that
encompasses - past, present, and future?   I seriously hope I'm wrong, but
it sure seems that way...

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:59:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sick and Tired of Dog Talk???

As we say in the hood " I feel ya."? This past?winter I asked a question and
the
response was "why should I?answer because newbies never?do what you tell them
anyway..." and subsequently was booted off?a list for defending myself.? The
good thing is my interest in the breed goes way back to childhood, and I am a
very self motivated person.? It's more than just shows.? My local club is
awesome, and with the exception that I have?choosen not to breed, I will remain
a?loyal?fancier of this breed, as long as my wallet allows :)
Denise W.
?
http://sabianshepherds.tripod.com
for show and performance