  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:41:13 -0400

I think this is correct temperament. No fear, no aggression but will answer Any
threat with an OH Yeah??? If my dog got grabbed hard in the mouth and I did not
correct the judge or person doing that, I would expect my dog to tell that
person. I would not expect a bite from my dog but I think any one of my dogs,
male or female and over the age of about 10-11 months would let the person
know, especially if I or my handler did not ask the judge to be easier( I know
the judge is god and we shouldn't do that, but how else will the judge know?).
?and I would not care if I got dumped, because my dog would know I or the
handler has his back and can be trusted to handle these situations and there is
no need for him to react. I know I haven't been under a ton of judges but I
have to say while I have disagreed with some picks, I have not seen but one or
2 who were IMO too rough. I have seen them afraid of the dogs, which I think is
kind of a dangerous place for the judge to be and at th
 e same time amusing. Again I am fairly new at this and I am more concerned
with my dog than the judges feelings. JMO
Pam
Oh and btw, in my opinion as a realitively newcomer and this being the 1st
national I will attend, I am doing so because it is close enough to go to AND
people have reached out and said " Welcome, come and have a good time!"?? I
believe though it was the welcome more than the location of the national, I
tried for Co last year but do to a family illness could not make it.?? Put out
the welcome mat and I think people will find a way to get there.

 >*A few years back there was a judge who was notorious for being rough on
mouths. He grabbed a big, champion male a bit too hard, and that dog backed him
up a few paces.  He did not bite, but he became very threatening with hackles
raised.I saw this happen. I will say this for the judge: he gave the dog the
breed. I suppose he could have dumped him, but he was obviously the best dog
there. Also, the dog was just answering what he thought was a threat.  Doris
Estabrook  P.S.  I never saw this judge get rough on a mouth check after that
happened.*