  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: culzeans1@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:38:49 -0700 (PDT)

Outstanding post!...the all-breed vs. Specialty thing has always bugged me...we
have one breed with one standard.......either the so-called specialty dog is
incorrect or the so-called all-breed dog is incorrect...judges in both rings
should be putting up dogs based on the SAME standard...plain and simple.....Ed
Hill
culzeans1@xxxxxxx wrote:   This is what people who only show at all breeds say
about "specialty" GSD's with the contention that if a specialty dog went to an
all breed they couldn't navigate the ring and therefore they are to extended.
?Both are wrong, there are good and bad in both rings and shouldn't we work on
educating judges, clubs and exhibitors and stop throwing insults in either
direction? All breed people are disappointed when a "specialty" judge judges
and puts up the only "specialty" dog in the ring. I still don't get the
division. A dog that is the most correct to the written standard is the best
dog in either ring.? An all breed dog has a hard time winning at specialties,
so what is that? Clueless judges? I don't think so. We need to change our
perceptions and be more inviting both ways. I always assumed a "specialty" was
an all German Shepherd (or whatever breed you are in) show, not a show for a
different kind of the dog in the same breed.??I don't know, but
 I sure don't think I should b
e limited to? "all breed" shows or "specialty" shows. I like going to both
shows. I know all breed people who are just as negative about specialties, so
it is by no means a one way street. Life is too short and dogs shows to
expensive to be so divided. JMO
Pam

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:19:41 -0500

Jessica -- Actually this is an old topic,but what the heck.Why do I not
like all-breed shows ? Because they are mostly about a majority of
clueless judges judging a majority of bad GSD's in a majority of inadequate
rings.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] GSDs in the Group Ring

So here's to starting a new topic.

When I was a little kid tagging along to dog shows, I remember that GSDs
used to win or place in the groups regularily. I remember at least two GSDs
that went BIS from the classes and I remember lots of beautiful, highly
campaigned specials.

What has changed? Yes, we know about the select group of handlers that do go
to all-breeds and have heavily campaigned dogs, but what about the general
exhibitor. Very, very rarely do I see GSDs do anything in the group these
days.

Is it because often so many of the best dogs ONLY go to specialties, when in
reality, they should be going to all-breeds too so that judges get familiar
with more exceptional dogs? Do many GSD breeders not like all-breed shows
(rings are too small, all-arounders don't know anything, etc)... What's the
reason?

Some years ago, I had a liver dal boy that I saved ONLY for specialties and
he finished with three five pointers, two Best In Sweeps and a BOS over
specials - all at specialties and all from BBEx. He also had a BBEx in Show
and two breeds and a group II.? A handler friend of mine told me that it was
shame that he was only going to specialties because he was an exceptional
dog and deserved to be see at all-breed shows.... So we did and that's when
he got the two breeds over specials and a group II... I showed him at
specialties because he was a "specialty" dog and his two faults (all-beit
minor) were things that would concern all-arounders.

So tell me why we don't see more GSDs winning groups... I am curious....

BTW: If you don't like all-breed shows, why not?

Food for thought.Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd
Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA &