  • From: Culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:44:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2008 9:26:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

My  own personal opinion,is that I wouldn't buy a puppy for any child  under
5-6 yrs. Puppies treat small children like their pack,and you'd  never  leave
them alone with a puppy until the child can stand  upright,and have  some
safety
of height over a frisky playful puppy.  Otherwise the poor puppy will  be
crated most of the time while the  youngster crawls around. I had my first
dog  when
I was five,and  could understand when my parents told me what not to do,and
obey  them. I don't care if it's for the husband--he'll be at work,and the
load  of watching out for the baby and raising a puppy falls on  her.  An
older trained GSD might work for all,but NOT a puppy.. It's  like raising  3
small
children at the same time,only worse. Someone  is going to get hurt
accidentally. My best advice for all including  the DOG is to wait until the
children
are a little older,and can  understand what is necessary Helen Muller   Fisher

Or go with an older dog trained for the hearing impaired. I don't know  where
you are at but in Idaho, there is a trainer named Fran Jewel who trains  not
only service dogs but SAR and obedience, tracking and others. She is  Positive
Puppy Partners LLC. or something like that, all the trainers are  certified.
I know she just placed a coated German shepherd as a hearing service  dog. I
would bet she could at least tell you what direction this woman and child  need
to go.
Pam

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.