  • From: Culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:46:01 EDT

I read this post and it just gives me goosebumps, I just love it when
everyone reminisces about the great people and dogs in our breed. What a
wonderful
thing to have such great memories and to share those memories. Even as  we are
making memories now and in 20-50 yrs from now some will be writing or who
knows maybe sharing face to face about the great dogs they saw in person or
owned or showed. I love to look at the books and imagine what it was like to be

there at the beginning. I love reading these posts!
Thank you
Pam

In a message dated 5/29/2008 6:09:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
Msg: #2  in digest
From: Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:37:31  EDT
Subject: Memories of Margaret Pooley

It is difficult to think of  Margaret  Pooley without having my eyes become
moist.  We first  met Margaret in 1951 when the  USMC transferred me to El
Toro.
We  had a shepherd that I had trained and wanted one that Vivian  could
train.
We had seen the San Miguel ads in the  Review and  visited them but the
kennel had been ravaged by distemper and they   had lost all their puppies.
We then
went to Rocky Reach.  We had seen  the pictures of her Ch Lass  of Seamair in
the Review next to the  pool.  San Miguel was money.  Rocky  Reach was, well,

rocks.  We had the  pick of a litter sired by Yudo of Rocky  Reach out of Ch.
Janelka CDX.  Our puppy was a monorchid with  imperfect  hips but he was a
delightful dog.  We overlooked his  sister Ch Our Lovely Lady of Rocky Reach
UD.
Margaret referred us to  Bill Koehler�s  novice obedience class, which
she
also
attended and  we saw Margaret on a weekly  basis there and on many Saturdays
when
we would call at the ââ?¬Å?Ranchââ?¬Â?.
Many of the shows were  benched in those days and exhibitors  were required
keep their  dogs on the bench all during show hours when not  being judged.
We would go to the  shows and sit with Margaret when shepherds were  not
being
judged.  It was at such a show, Glendale winter  of  1951-52, that I made my
first appearance in the breed ring.  Moritza  of Rocky Reach was WB and then
BOW
which was, in those days, judged  before Specials.  Since Margaret herself
was
showing Jolly  Arno  in specials and had no one else to take Moritza into
specials she asked  me  and I leapt at the chance.
Of course, also in the ring was the  future Grand Victrix,  Ch. Ulla of San
Miguel, handled expertly and  aggressively by Tiny Dupon, handler  and kennel
manager of San  Miguel.  Ulla was BIS that day.  I do  not know of any
progeny
from Ulla but champion after champion issued from  Moritza when bred  to Ch
Jolly
Arno of Edgetowne.  Margaret needed to sell puppies  to  support herself and
her dogs so many finishable animals ended in  pet homes and  never saw the
show
ring.
Among the shepherd people  in  California at that time were Noah and Minerva
Bloomer, who had  Ch. Alert of  Mi-Noahs, who became the GV in 1953 the same
time as  Ulla of San Miguel was  victrix.  Alert appeared small when  in  the
ring
with a dog like Ch Lorian of San Miguel, a large dog, but he was  a
beautiful
type.
One day while at the ââ?¬Å?Ranchââ?¬Â?  We saw a large bitch and asked  about
her.

Margaret said,  ââ?¬Å?Oh  thatââ?¬â?¢s Karah von Kuperhof, the Kupers thought
she
was too
large so they let me  have her.�  Margaret finished   Karah�s
championship and
bred her to Alert producing among others Ch  Xantos of  Rocky Reach the sire
of
Ch Tanzar Desiree the 1958 Grand  Victrix.
There is so much to say about Margaret, but Charlie Nofflett  best  summed it
up at a post show gathering.  A flash in the pan  handler that had just won a
couple of majors was  boasting and,  belittling Margaret, said,
ââ?¬Å?Whoââ?¬â?¢s
Margaret
Pooleyââ?¬Â?.  Charlie  replied, ââ?¬Å?Sheââ?¬â?¢s my Mother,  thatââ?¬â?¢s
who she isâ�
Â?.

Tom  Brown

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.