[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V1 #128 (from Helen Franklin)

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:58:19 EST

Another judge wrote the following....=20

 "....Personally,  I have the handler bring the dog out  to me in the =
middle
of=20
the ring, and I ask that the dog be taken it down and back and once =
around
and=20
then  stop the dog  that required distance from me and the handler steps
back=20
and no commands and then I approach the dog ,  talk to him or her on the =

approach and I  touch them lightly.... and then have the Handler set the =
dog
up and=20
I go over it. Period... So I am guilty of  'winging it' a bit myself, "

Reply:
That procedure partially defeats the purpose of the temperament =
evaluation.
The first approach is the first approach.  Once again, what we want to =
see
is how the dog handles REAL LIFE.  How the dog handles a "walk in the =
park"
with ordinary people approaching him.  Strangers do not request you run =
your
dog before touching or approaching.  The importance of this exam is to =
be
sure the dog is fit for NORMAL EVERYDAY exposure to people. =20
Helen Franklin

  I was that 'other Judge' who wrote that... You may be right it defeats the
'purpose' I just have a different slant on the   'purpose'... I guess, and the
 First Approach... Number one the dog is not in the park  where there are a
lot of people in the park. Meeting them on a casual walk thru. The dog is in
the middle of the  Show Ring and hopefully they have been trained for a
'normal'
response.

I do not kid myself one little bit that i am giving that dog a temperament
test... I am just seeing if that dog on that day is going to stand in that ring
and let me approach him or her ....That's all...  Period.  and when all is
said and done, that's all I have proven.JMO Barb Williams